we are currently using APM JAVA agent to monitor different JAVA applications. We are collecting transactions and JVM metrics and using logstash as ETL in order to make data enrichment based on business logic. We have basically developed 3 different Kibana dashboards organized in:
- transaction statistics (averages, response status...)
- transaction trends
Moreover we are planning to implement custom transactions in order to correlate them with log events and improve system observability.
- Do you have any suggestions about out solution according to your experience on different projects? Eg: we could correlate transactions statistics with metrics collected in the same time period.. something else?
- Is there something else we could implement using Elastic APM or are we making the most of this technology? Are there some features we are missing or that will be implemented in the next future? NB: consider that we are going to use ML and alert features as soon as we have the subcription installed.
- According to your experience, are there some guidelines or best practices for a Performance Test in order to compare JVM performance with/without APM agent attached on it? Eg:
- APM Agent attached: we can easily collect transactions response time and calculate their averages
- APM Agent not attached: we could use entity centric indices and a py script in order to calculate response times based on log and custom transaction id
Any suggestions on this point?
Thanks a lot,