Monitoring of an application on a tomcat

Hi everyone,

I am having issues in monitoring a java application inside a tomcat. I am monitoring the tomcat with a java agent and i see everything correctly. But when i install an application on it it seems that i can't monitor it correctly. I don't see business transactions (only the one related to the tomcat) i see only throughput.

Is this normal? Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

It's not clear what this has to do with Kibana.
What java agent are you using?

Hi,

I am sorry if i put my question in the wrong topic. I am using the "observability -> APM " that i found in Kibana so i thought it was a kibana question. I am using the Elastic Java agent, the one found here : APM Java Agent Reference [1.x] | Elastic

Hope i explained myselft better!

Thanks for the answer!

Hi, Is anyone able to help me?

Hi @Nigmur,
did you see docs Manual setup with -javaagent flag | APM Java Agent Reference [1.x] | Elastic?
What version of tomcat do you use?
Do you use supported technologies in your application? Supported technologies | APM Java Agent Reference [1.x] | Elastic
And what version of elastic-java-agent do you use?

Hi there!

Thank you very much for your answer!!

Yes i followed the manual, i am using tomcat 9.0.44 (it appears as supported) and elastic java agent version 1.22.0.

Thank you very much again! Have a nice day!

@Nigmur, Did you configure export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Delastic.apm.application_packages=org.example,org.another.example" ?

Hi,

We installed the tomcat as a service and in the tomcat.service properties we have this line:

Environment='CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms512M -Xmx1024M -server -XX:+UseParallelGC -javaagent:/opt/elastic-apm/elastic-apm-agent-1.22.0.jar -Delastic.apm.service_name=T
omcat9 -Delastic.apm.application_packages=org.apache.catalina -Delastic.apm.server_url=http://10.1.0.27:8200'
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Thank you!

what packages in your deployed application?
You should configure -Delastic.apm.application_packages with your application packages.

Can you set log level to DEBUG?

What kind of transactions are you await in kibana?
After deploying application - did you call your application REST, or something else?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.