Are there any limits to the number of snapshot repositories?

Hi,

I'm looking to backup a lot of historical indices, for now and going into the future, we have two a day going back till 2010. For our use case we'd like to set the base_path per index, this means that we'll need to configure over 10k repositories. Are there any limits to the number of repositories, or is it ok to scale these?

Many thanks,
John

I'm not sure if there is a hard limit on the number of repositories as this is not well documented, or at least I couldn't find anything about it.

But having a lot of repositories means that you will have a lot of snapshots which can give you some issues, specially while listing the snapshots on Kibana.

What is the logic behind having a base_path per index? This looks like a nightmare to manage.

1 Like

We have a system in place that can manage the snapshots. The reason to have a base_path is so we can move the snapshot to glacier as per this question Is it possible to move a one time snapshot to Glacier?

Which should be ok to do providing we don't alter the files on that path. The easiest way to seperate this is to have a repository per index. Providing that there aren't any limits on the number of repositories and the snapshot api continues to work in the same way.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.