Beats_system role

I've set up an Elastic Stack 7.9.2 and enabled basic security.

Metricbeat can not use to Elasticsearch user beats_system because of a lack of permissions.
The documentation Built-in users | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic says:

beats_system
The user the Beats use when storing monitoring information in Elasticsearch.

remote_monitoring_user
The user Metricbeat uses when collecting and storing monitoring information in Elasticsearch. It has the remote_monitoring_agent and remote_monitoring_collector built-in roles.

However I have the following errors:

2020-10-27T06:03:35.433Z	ERROR	[publisher_pipeline_output]	pipeline/output.go:154	Failed to connect to backoff(elasticsearch(https://myelasticsearch:9200)): Connection marked as failed because the onConnect callback failed: failed to check for policy name 'metricbeat': (status=403) {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"security_exception","reason":"action [cluster:admin/ilm/get] is unauthorized for user [beats_system]"}],"type":"security_exception","reason":"action [cluster:admin/ilm/get] is unauthorized for user [beats_system]"},"status":403}: 403 Forbidden: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"security_exception","reason":"action [cluster:admin/ilm/get] is unauthorized for user [beats_system]"}],"type":"security_exception","reason":"action [cluster:admin/ilm/get] is unauthorized for user [beats_system]"},"status":403}

2020-10-27T06:17:55.149Z	WARN	[elasticsearch]	elasticsearch/client.go:407	Cannot index event publisher.Event{Content:beat.Event{Timestamp:time.Time{wall:0xbfde0cc473f68322, ext:21273920703, loc:(*time.Location)(0x7f56740)}, Meta:{"index":".monitoring-es-7-mb"}, Fields:{"agent":{"ephemeral_id":"b1371185-8cb2-4405-8dc3-eceab3497699","hostname":"myelasticsearch.eu-west-3.compute.internal","id":"23c7bc6d-bbca-42b7-bed6-d7724ea57721","name":"myelasticsearch","type":"metricbeat","version":"7.9.2"},"cluster_uuid":"FePunFMCQo-kWLmWe5dwPw","ecs":{"version":"1.5.0"},"event":{"dataset":"elasticsearch.index","duration":670459007,"module":"elasticsearch"},"host":{"architecture":"x86_64","containerized":false,"hostname":"myelasticsearch.eu-west-3.compute.internal","id":"cab9605edaa5484da7c2f02b8fd10762","ip":["xxx","xxx"],"mac":["xxx"],"name":"myelasticsearch","os":{"codename":"Core","family":"redhat","kernel":"3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64","name":"CentOS Linux","platform":"centos","version":"7 (Core)"}},"index_stats":{"created":1599818418911,"hidden":false,"index":".kibana_task_manager_1","primaries":{"docs":{"count":6},"fielddata":{"evictions":0,"memory_size_in_bytes":0},"indexing":{"index_time_in_millis":262,"index_total":78,"throttle_time_in_millis":0},"merges":{"total_size_in_bytes":613493},"query_cache":{"evictions":0,"hit_count":0,"memory_size_in_bytes":0,"miss_count":0},"refresh":{"external_total_time_in_millis":1734,"total_time_in_millis":1589},"request_cache":{"evictions":0,"hit_count":0,"memory_size_in_bytes":0,"miss_count":1},"search":{"query_time_in_millis":1476,"query_total":501},"segments":{"count":2,"doc_values_memory_in_bytes":2560,"fixed_bit_set_memory_in_bytes":96,"index_writer_memory_in_bytes":0,"memory_in_bytes":9040,"norms_memory_in_bytes":384,"points_memory_in_bytes":0,"stored_fields_memory_in_bytes":1040,"term_vectors_memory_in_bytes":0,"terms_memory_in_bytes":5056,"version_map_memory_in_bytes":0},"store":{"size_in_bytes":92759}},"shards":{"active_primaries":1,"active_replicas":0,"active_total":1,"initializing":0,"primaries":1,"relocating":0,"replicas":0,"total":1,"unassigned_primaries":0,"unassigned_replicas":0,"unassigned_total":0},"status":"green","total":{"docs":{"count":6},"fielddata":{"evictions":0,"memory_size_in_bytes":0},"indexing":{"index_time_in_millis":262,"index_total":78,"throttle_time_in_millis":0},"merges":{"total_size_in_bytes":613493},"query_cache":{"evictions":0,"hit_count":0,"memory_size_in_bytes":0,"miss_count":0},"refresh":{"external_total_time_in_millis":1734,"total_time_in_millis":1589},"request_cache":{"evictions":0,"hit_count":0,"memory_size_in_bytes":0,"miss_count":1},"search":{"query_time_in_millis":1476,"query_total":501},"segments":{"count":2,"doc_values_memory_in_bytes":2560,"fixed_bit_set_memory_in_bytes":96,"index_writer_memory_in_bytes":0,"memory_in_bytes":9040,"norms_memory_in_bytes":384,"points_memory_in_bytes":0,"stored_fields_memory_in_bytes":1040,"term_vectors_memory_in_bytes":0,"terms_memory_in_bytes":5056,"version_map_memory_in_bytes":0},"store":{"size_in_bytes":92759}},"uuid":"YlQ_LnciQsabzkpR44Spqg"},"interval_ms":10000,"metricset":{"name":"index","period":10000},"service":{"address":"myelasticsearch:9200","type":"elasticsearch"},"timestamp":"2020-10-27T06:17:54.542Z","type":"index_stats"}, Private:interface {}(nil), TimeSeries:true}, Flags:0x0, Cache:publisher.EventCache{m:common.MapStr(nil)}} (status=403): {"type":"security_exception","reason":"action [indices:admin/auto_create] is unauthorized for user [beats_system]"}

I've stumble upon this post describing similar issue on Elastic Stack 7.7

And the role documentation says the contrary of above user documentation

beats_system
Grants access necessary for the Beats system user to send system-level data (such as monitoring) to Elasticsearch.
This role should not be assigned to users as the granted permissions may change between releases.
This role does not provide access to the beats indices and is not suitable for writing beats output to Elasticsearch.

remote_monitoring_agent
Grants the minimum privileges required to write data into the monitoring indices ( .monitoring-* ). This role also has the privileges necessary to create Metricbeat indices ( metricbeat-* ) and write data into them.

So I have added another user with both beats_system and remote_monitoring_agent roles. With this user, metric reporting is alright, but I still can not load dashboards into Kibana

$ metricbeat setup
Exiting: error loading config file: open /etc/metricbeat/metricbeat.yml: permission denied
[centos@ip-10-0-10-10 metricbeat]$ sudo metricbeat setup
Overwriting ILM policy is disabled. Set `setup.ilm.overwrite: true` for enabling.

Index setup finished.
Loading dashboards (Kibana must be running and reachable)
Exiting: 1 error: error loading index pattern: returned 500 to import file: <nil>. Response: {"statusCode":500,"error":"Internal Server Error","message":"An internal server error occurred."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-10-27T07:28:19Z","tags":["error","http"],"pid":8486,"message":"{ Error: Unable to bulk_create index-pattern\n    at SecureSavedObjectsClientWrapper.ensureAuthorized (/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/security/server/saved_objects/secure_saved_objects_client_wrapper.js:194:48)\n    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)\n  isBoom: true,\n  isServer: false,\n  data: null,\n  output:\n   { statusCode: 403,\n     payload:\n      { statusCode: 403,\n        error: 'Forbidden',\n        message: 'Unable to bulk_create index-pattern' },\n     headers: {} },\n  reformat: [Function],\n  [Symbol(SavedObjectsClientErrorCode)]: 'SavedObjectsClient/forbidden' }"}
{"type":"error","@timestamp":"2020-10-27T07:28:19Z","tags":[],"pid":8486,"level":"error","error":{"message":"Internal Server Error","name":"Error","stack":"Error: Internal Server Error\n    at HapiResponseAdapter.toInternalError (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/http/router/response_adapter.js:69:19)\n    at Router.handle (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/http/router/router.js:170:34)\n    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)"},"url":{"protocol":null,"slashes":null,"auth":null,"host":null,"port":null,"hostname":null,"hash":null,"search":"?force=true","query":{"force":"true"},"pathname":"/api/kibana/dashboards/import","path":"/api/kibana/dashboards/import?force=true","href":"/api/kibana/dashboards/import?force=true"},"message":"Internal Server Error"}

How should I configure Beats when using a secured Elasticsearch? Which user should I use for output.elasticsearch, setup.kibana and module: elasticsearch sections?

Hi!

I would try with kibana_system for setting up Kibana and maybe for elasticsearch module too.

Neither kibana_system nor kibana_admin are enough. My current workaround is to use the elastic user, but it's ugly.

I see. Can you redirect your issue/concern to the Elasticsearch forum? Maybe there is the need to provide more options here for such cases.

The builtin users and roles aren't really intended for this purpose. The Metricbeat security guide has the steps you need.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer to the documentation.
However, even in this page Grant users access to secured resources | Metricbeat Reference [8.11] | Elastic, the documentation is confusing:

Elasticsearch security features provides built-in roles that grant a subset of the privileges needed by Metricbeat users. When possible, use the built-in roles to minimize the affect of future changes on your security strategy.

If builtin users and roles are nor intended for this purpose, I wonder which one they are.

1 Like

I'm still wondering till this day. Since you mentioned my post, I think you noticed how it got no replies at all. It's as I often say: Elastic does amazing tools, but their documentation expects people to already master the tools before they can understand the documentation.

Bottom line is: ignore what the documentation says, feel your way around and fix things as you go - specially when it comes to permissions.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.