Boundary Search x miles from original Boundary

I can across this article and found it very useful:

I am trying to achieve something a little different and I thought you might be able to advise.

On Rightmove.co.uk you can perform a radius search:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/map.html?includeSSTC=false&keywords=&sortType=2&viewType=MAP&channel=BUY&index=0&radius=3.0&locationIdentifier=REGION^884

3 miles on this search is not correct however.

I am not looking for a Geo Polygon query within a shape in effect or a geo distance query from a point:

I effectively need to create a search from a similar polygon at scale:

In other words I have a geolocation boundary, I need to scale by 3 miles and find all locations within the bounds.

I was wondering if you had any idea how i could perhaps achieve this?

I am theory looking to build a property site that performs searches across the whole of the UK and your help and expertise would be most appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Scaling a polygon up or down is known as inward/outward polygon offsetting. It is possible to use a GIS library like JTS TopologySuite (and language ports like NetTopologySuite) or Clipper to do this.

I think a simple approach to scale out the outer boundary of the shell of a polygon can be achieved with JTS TopologySuite's OffsetCurveBuilder.getRingCurve().