Bulk timeout

I am planning to set a timeout for my bulk requests.
Is there a possible way to know, when the timeout exceeds, whether the request is still being processed by ES?
I want to retry some time after the timeout exceeds and I am afraid of a situation where I will send the same bulk again while it exists in the DB (but took a long time to insert in my first attempt)

If you want to index that data anyway, why would you set a timeout?

If you are having slow bulk requests, why not try to resolve that rather than introducing a timeout that could lead to duplicates getting created?

I don't have slow bulks. My usecase is:
An internal component sends bulk requests and waits for an answer. If there is no answer after 4 seconds, it retries.
I cant let elastic try processing a bulk forever...
What do you suggest in this case?

What is your average bulk latency? How frequently do you see latencies exceeding the 4 second timeout?

The system is in a development stage. There is no problem with bulk latency. We just want to define a max limit for waiting. We want to understand whether we can verify that there is no more processing for this request in ES server when we retry the request.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.