Can Kibana access response headers coming from the Node server?

Hi Kibana experts!

I've been working on a project that involves Kibana 4.0.2 and I'm in a situation where I need to slightly extend the current Kibana.

My question as follows:
Assuming that the Node server knows the current user's ID (this information is passed in by a proxy as one of the request headers), how do I make Kibana aware of this user ID? and display it somewhere on the page?

My first thought is to pass it back to Kibana as a response header, which I already know how to accomplish, but I failed to figure out how to make Kibana read this header.

I'm fairly new to Kibana and Node, so if there are better ways to have this done, please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We have made some changes to Kibana but I have to say that I would not recommend this as an approach because more features are being added which will require you to perform a merge every time.

The way we solved this and added the userID to Kibana at Logz.io is by wrapping it in an iframe and developing a whole application that sits ontop of it and does the user management and role based access.

This is a fairly easy solution which I'm sure you can implement on your own.

-- Asaf.

Hi Asaf,

Thanks for the tip.

We are accepting the fact that any modification would make future merges difficult, so we are locking down to version 4.0.2 for now.

We didn't go with iframe, but something very similar. I've created a API on the Node side and added code on Kibana client side to query this API to get user info. It's working well for our use case.

Cheers.

Are these changes publicly viewable somewhere?

No sorry they are not.

But if you are interesting in anything in particular, I'm happy to discuss it with you.