Can we install plugins on an independent Node of Elasticsearch for testing purposes?

I am using a NodeBuilder for creation and testing of an index. This runs perfectly fine but I also have to use the mapper-attachment plugin as I am indexing PDFs as well. But as soon as I try indexing a PDF document in that node's index, I get org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.MapperParsingException: No handler for type [attachment] declared on field [pdf_text]. This is only because this plugin is not installed.

I checked NodeInfo of the temporary node I created it I got "plugins": [] i.e. no plugins are installed there. Actually it should be:

"plugins" : [ {
        "name" : "marvel",
        "version" : "1.3.1",
        "description" : "Elasticsearch Management & Monitoring",
        "url" : "/_plugin/marvel/",
        "jvm" : true,
        "site" : true
      }, {
        "name" : "mapper-attachments",
        "version" : "2.6.0",
        "description" : "Adds the attachment type allowing to parse difference attachment formats",
        "jvm" : true,
        "site" : false
      } ]

Any way I could do that?

For Elasticsearch 1.x, it is enough to add jars of the plugin to the classpath to get them loaded.

Is it possible for you to give a small example on how to do that? I really cannot understand what you mean.

Do I need to specify the path to the jars when I am starting my start my elasticsearch node?