Cannot edit node.max_local_storage_nodes in elasticsearch.yml file

Hello,
I installed elasticsearch 6.3.1 version on Mac. I used vim config/elasticsearch.yml command in order to set the number_of_data_nodes to 2 with node.max_local_storage_nodes: 2.
When I save yml file below.

======================== Elasticsearch Configuration =========================
#
# NOTE: Elasticsearch comes with reasonable defaults for most settings.
#       Before you set out to tweak and tune the configuration, make sure you
#       understand what are you trying to accomplish and the consequences.
#
# The primary way of configuring a node is via this file. This template lists
# the most important settings you may want to configure for a production cluster.
#
# Please consult the documentation for further information on configuration options:
# https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/index.html
#
# ---------------------------------- Cluster -----------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for your cluster:
#
#cluster.name: my-application
#
# ------------------------------------ Node ------------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for the node:
#
#node.name: node-1
#
# Add custom attributes to the node:
#
#node.attr.rack: r1
#
# ----------------------------------- Paths ------------------------------------
#
# Path to directory where to store the data (separate multiple locations by comma):
#
#path.data: /path/to/data
#
# Path to log files:
#
#path.logs: /path/to/logs
#
# ----------------------------------- Memory -----------------------------------
#
# Lock the memory on startup:
#
#bootstrap.memory_lock: true
#
# Make sure that the heap size is set to about half the memory available
# on the system and that the owner of the process is allowed to use this
# limit.
#
# Elasticsearch performs poorly when the system is swapping the memory.
#
# ---------------------------------- Network -----------------------------------
#
# Set the bind address to a specific IP (IPv4 or IPv6):
#
#network.host: *********
#
# Set a custom port for HTTP:
#
#http.port: 9200
#
# For more information, consult the network module documentation.
--------------------------------- Discovery ----------------------------------
#
# Pass an initial list of hosts to perform discovery when new node is started:
# The default list of hosts is ["127.0.0.1", "[::1]"]
#
#discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["host1", "host2"]
#
# Prevent the "split brain" by configuring the majority of nodes (total number of master-eligible nodes / 2 + 1):
#
#discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes:
#
# For more information, consult the zen discovery module documentation.
#
# ---------------------------------- Gateway -----------------------------------
#
# Block initial recovery after a full cluster restart until N nodes are started:
#
#gateway.recover_after_nodes: 3
#
# For more information, consult the gateway module documentation.
#
# ---------------------------------- Various -----------------------------------
#node.max_local_storage_nodes: 2
# Require explicit names when deleting indices:
#
#action.destructive_requires_name: true

I try to open a new node and have this error message:

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Exception in thread "main" 2018-09-26 01:52:14,805 main ERROR No log4j2 configuration file found. Using default configuration: logging only errors to the console. Set system property 'log4j2.debug' to show Log4j2 internal initialization logging.
SettingsException[Failed to load settings from [elasticsearch.yml]]; nested: ParsingException[Failed to parse object: expecting token of type [START_OBJECT] but found [VALUE_STRING]];
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.loadFromStream(Settings.java:1192)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.loadFromPath(Settings.java:1165)
at org.elasticsearch.node.InternalSettingsPreparer.prepareEnvironment(InternalSettingsPreparer.java:100)
at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.createEnv(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:95)
at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86)
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124)
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:93)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:86)
Caused by: ParsingException[Failed to parse object: expecting token of type [START_OBJECT] but found [VALUE_STRING]]
at org.elasticsearch.common.xcontent.XContentParserUtils.ensureExpectedToken(XContentParserUtils.java:78)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings.fromXContent(Settings.java:672)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings.access$500(Settings.java:84)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.loadFromStream(Settings.java:1188)
... 8 more

Can you help me please ?
Thanks a lot.

I think you've misunderstood the setting node.max_local_storage_nodes which isn't used to specify the number of data nodes in your cluster (there is no such setting) but mainly for testing failover by running multiple Elasticsearch instances on the same server sharing data path (see this link). And that is not what you want in a production cluster.

You really don't have to tell the cluster how many data nodes you have, it will figure it out from the node.data setting (which must be true for data nodes) in the elasticsearch.yml files on each node.

Back to your problem then. From the elasticsearch.yml file you're showing I can see that several comments (#) are missing. Anything that is not a setting must start with a comment marker or else the parser will fail, so the Elasticsearch Configuration header must start with a # and so must the later Discovery heading. That is, you need to change

======================== Elasticsearch Configuration =========================

into

# ======================== Elasticsearch Configuration =========================

etc.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.