Can't get rid of warning "this node is locked into cluster UUID but [cluster.initial_master_nodes] is set to [Z56EEW81]; remove this setting to avoid possible data loss caused by subsequent cluster bootstrap attempts"

Hello all,

I am using Elasticsearch v8.8.0 on a Windows Server 2019.
Below is my Elasticsearch configuration file "elasticsearch.yml" :

cluster.name: MyCOMPANY-R7
node.name: ${HOSTNAME}
node.roles : [master, data, ingest, remote_cluster_client]
discovery.type: single-node
path:
    data: "E:\\MyCompany\\LOGS\\ElasticSearch\\data"
    logs: "E:\\MyCompany\\LOGS\\ElasticSearch\\logs"

network.host: 0.0.0.0
http.port: 9200
discovery.seed_hosts: []
xpack.security.enabled: false

When I'm starting my Elasticsearch service for the first time everything goes fine ! (No warning, no error).
But everytime I'm restarting the service (without deleting the DATA folder before) I get this warning :
"[2023-06-13T16:39:39,378][WARN ][o.e.c.c.ClusterBootstrapService] [Z56EEW81] this node is locked into cluster UUID [69HTSDhuTzu7S2_zy-7h_Q] but [cluster.initial_master_nodes] is set to [Z56EEW81]; remove this setting to avoid possible data loss caused by subsequent cluster bootstrap attempts; for further information see Important Elasticsearch configuration | Elasticsearch Guide [8.8] | Elastic"

I read the documentation and differents pages about how to set the important configuration and tried differents values for the "network.host", "discovery.seed_hosts", "cluster.initial_master_nodes",...but I either get an error then, when starting Elasticsearch, or I get more warnings...
So I wanted to know if it was possible to get rid of this warning without having to loss the data.

Thank you,

This is weird, the elasticsearch.yml that you shared does not have the cluster.initial_master_nodes setting on it, so this log line makes no sense.

Did you remove the setting or it is still in the elasticsearch.yml file?

The setting "cluster.initial_master_nodes" is definitely removed from the file.
But as I said, when I'm starting the Elasticsearch Service for the first time (without data) everything goes fine (no warning, no error), this seems to happens everytime I'm starting it again (but with data then), so maybe there is something going on when the service is restarting but I can't figure what...

This warning only happens on a restart. But it definitely means that Elasticsearch is seeing the cluster.initial_master_nodes setting coming from somewhere. If it's not in the elasticsearch.yml file you're looking at then either Elasticsearch is looking at a different elasticsearch.yml, or it's being passed in on the command line used to invoke Elasticsearch.

1 Like

Ah wait, in another similar thread a user points out that this warning appears to be emitted incorrectly in the case of discovery.type: single-node:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.