Can't got actual data size and documents

I was reindexing one index but while using the reindex api the size of the previous index and new index is not same.
source index
GET /_cat/indices/log-test1?v&pretty

health status index     uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green  open   log-test1 2ZSW9EdnT2SJwxSCFmk64g   1   1   20920610            0     16.4gb          8.2gb

destination
GET /_cat/indices/log-test-1-2021.05.22-000001?v&pretty

health status index                       uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green  open   log-test-1-2021.05.22-000001 EBVL_urcSfC6XgnUG0CFNQ   1   1    6772999            0      4.9gb          2.4gb

The command i run

POST _reindex?wait_for_completion=true
{
  "source": {
    "index": "log-test1"
  },

"dest": {
    "index": "log-test-1-2021.05.22-000001"
  }
}

to check its status
GET _tasks?actions=*reindexand the output is

{
  "nodes" : { }
}

Anything in elasticsearch logs?

I'd try also without wait_for_completion.

The document count differs. Did the reindex complete? Are there any differences in mappings, e.g. differences in use of nested mappings or analysers?

1 Like

No but size of the index is different

I had test this on small index size around 2 gb after 5 10 minutes the new index size and documents was same as previous index

You should use this for larger reindex, async task notice the false see here

POST _reindex?wait_for_completion=false

Even if the the index has the exact number of documents the size might be slightly different , because the first index may have had segments merged etc but the should be pretty close.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.