Can't start ES with HEAP SIZE larger than 7g

(Carlosvega) #1

Even though my machine has 12GB of memory available and knowing that the mlockall is true, I'm not able to start elasticsearch using a HEAP SIZE larger than 7g. Is there any configuration that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

Update 1:

I get the following logs using the debug mode when I restart the service.

[2017-04-16 15:26:33,094][DEBUG][bootstrap ] seccomp(SECCOMP_SET_MODE_FILTER): Function not implemented, falling back to prctl(PR_SET_SECCOMP)...
[2017-04-16 15:26:33,094][DEBUG][bootstrap ] Linux seccomp filter installation successful, threads: [app]

This also happens when I put a ES_MIN_MEM equals to ES_MAX_MEM or if I use ES_HEAP_SIZE instead.
My elasticsearch version is 2.3.2

Update 2

My kernel is 3.10.0-229 of a Centos 7, it might be related with the seccomp call but it should fall back to the other function properly.

The kernel log says:

Out of memory: Kill process 6593 (java) score 546 or sacrifice child
Killed process 6593 (java) total-vm:16040776kB, anon-rss:7659632kB, file-rss:124120kB

But the machine does have enough memory.

Elasticsearch warn unable to install syscall filter
(Eike Dehling) #2

What kind of "not able to start" ? Are you getting an error upon starting? Anything usefull in the logs ?

(Carlosvega) #3

What kind of "not able to start" ? Are you getting an error upon starting?

No error in the logs. It just crash after restarting the service. I changed the log level to DEBUG and got these:

I get the following logs using the debug mode.

[2017-04-16 15:26:33,094][DEBUG][bootstrap ] seccomp(SECCOMP_SET_MODE_FILTER): Function not implemented, falling back to prctl(PR_SET_SECCOMP)...
[2017-04-16 15:26:33,094][DEBUG][bootstrap ] Linux seccomp filter installation successful, threads: [app]

This also happens when I put a ES_MIN_MEM equals to ES_MAX_MEM or if I use ES_HEAP_SIZE instead.
My elasticsearch version is 2.3.2

(Danielmotaleite) #4

do you have hugepages enabled? if yes, you also need to add a flag to java, so it can use it: -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=2m (or whatever the size you may be using)

check your hugepages setup with cat /proc/meminfo |grep Huge
please notice that a hugepage can not use used by nom-hugepage apps, so free will show then as free, but they can not be used

(Carlosvega) #5

My hugepages configurations is set to "madvise".

And the details from the meminfo are the following:

AnonHugePages: 3373056 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
HugePages_Surp: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

Thanks for the help

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.