CCR - Remove follow_stats and License fetching problem

Hi!
I'm playing around with the new cross cluster replication feature and ran into some issues. Firstly, it worked like a charm, data got replicated and everything was good. After that, I decided to put load on the leader index to see if the follower can catch up - spoiler, with default settings it couldn't.
Anyway, now I got the issue, that the follower index doesn't replicate any data anymore.
When i call _ccr/stats i get this message:

{
        "leader_index": "cluster2-follows-cluster1",
        "timestamp": 1554360455200,
        "auto_follow_exception": {
          "type": "exception",
          "reason": "ElasticsearchStatusException[can not fetch remote cluster state as the license state of the remote cluster [elasticsearch] could not be determined]; nested: ResourceNotFoundException[license info is missing for cluster [elasticsearch]];",
          "caused_by": {
            "type": "status_exception",
            "reason": "can not fetch remote cluster state as the license state of the remote cluster [elasticsearch] could not be determined",
            "caused_by": {
              "type": "resource_not_found_exception",
              "reason": "license info is missing for cluster [elasticsearch]"
            }
          }
        }
      }
    ]

can this be the root cause why my data doesn't get replicated anymore?

Furthermore, when I call _ccr/stats i get the info about an Index I used to follow (visit). This index doesn't exist anymore but i the follower still wants to fetch data from it - resulting in a index not found exception. This was achieved with the auto-follow functionality. Is there a way to remove the "knowledge" of that index? It will never come back and I want to get rid of those exceptions.

The response looks something like this:

"follow_stats": {
    "indices": [
      {
        "index": "ccr-visit",
        "shards": [
          {
            "remote_cluster": "elasticsearch",
            "leader_index": "visit",
            "follower_index": "ccr-visit",
            "shard_id": 1,
            "leader_global_checkpoint": -1,
           }
      }
}

Thanks in advance!

And sorry, for the formatting,... I don't find formatting options anywhere :frowning:

can not fetch remote cluster state as the license state of the remote cluster [elasticsearch] could not be determined

If you're using a trial license, it may be that the trial license on the leader cluster expired.

Is there a way to remove the "knowledge" of that index?

yes, you can turn a follower index into a regular index (see Unfollow API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic ). From that point on, you can also locally write into that index just as any other index.

Hi again :slight_smile:
I can tell for sure, that the trial is not expired - i started the trial on both clusters 3 days ago at the same time.
Regarding converting a follower index into a regular one. Both indices don't exist anymore and will never come back - was just for testing. Fun fact, I still get this exception when I create a leader index starting with visit-*. But, the leader index has a totally different name then the one mentioned in the exception.

[2019-04-05T09:55:12,683][WARN ][o.e.x.c.a.ShardFollowTasksExecutor] [node-2] [ccr-visit-...][2] background management of retention lease [elasticsearch/ccr-visit-.../H9bsXxlRTcSQzmqtVAUQYg-following-elasticsearch/visit-.../bBwfwk3JTIyPx0XwMvgkzA] failed while following
org.elasticsearch.index.IndexNotFoundException: no such index

On the setup - to the left, the leader index - to the right, the follower

As you can see, the follower did not replicate any data, only created the index. The above warning occurs in the logs and i get the failed licence fetch message.
I delted the auto follow pattern and readded it, I restarted elasticsearch (yea i know) and it didn't help as well.
If you need any other logs or settings i used for this setup let me know.

Can you privately share the output of GET /_xpack/license of both clusters?

The license info is missing for cluster [elasticsearch] message is very surprising.

Hmm, ok, I called the license API and that's the response of cluster 1 ( node-1 = leader node):

{
  "license": {
    "status": "active",
    "uid": "e6ce6927-1247-4f31-a98e-...",
    "type": "trial",
    "issue_date": "2019-04-02T08:21:22.878Z",
    "issue_date_in_millis": 1554193282878,
    "expiry_date": "2019-05-02T08:21:22.878Z",
    "expiry_date_in_millis": 1556785282878,
    "max_nodes": 1000,
    "issued_to": "elasticsearch",
    "issuer": "elasticsearch",
    "start_date_in_millis": -1
  }
}

which looks good, but cluster 2 (node-2 = follower node) looks not so healthy:

{
  "error": {
    "root_cause": [
      {
        "type": "parse_exception",
        "reason": "failed to parse licenses expected field"
      }
    ],
    "type": "parse_exception",
    "reason": "failed to parse licenses expected field"
  },
  "status": 400
}

If this is a cluster for experimentation purposes only, perhaps remove / delete the data folder of node-2 and start afresh?

Yannick, we did it!
So, I deleted the (follower)node folder, which is ok because it's a test environment, had to re-activate the trial and it started working again.
Nevertheless, this will be a big nono in production. Is there maybe anything more I can share for you to maybe identify the root cause of this?

Thanks so far!

The symptoms and exception message suggest an expired trial license. If you still have the original data folder, you can privately share the data/nodes/0/_state/global-*.st file. Otherwise, if this occurs again, please run the start trial command to see if there is already a trial license in place, see https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/start-trial.html

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.