Clair describes Security Vulnerability

Hi,

I'm using 6.4.0 of the ELK stack in docker containers. We're using the clair vulnerability scanner to scan for vulnerabilities in our docker images. I see a high vulnerability for APM, Metricbeat, Logstash, Elasticsearch, and Kibana. My guess is they are all based on CentOS7 and that's what has the vulnerability. But i'm just wondering if anyone is aware of this, is there a workaround or fix? For example, could basing on a later version of the CentOS7 container what might fix it?

Also, wasn't sure which discussion topic to post in as it applies to all.

bind-license 32:9.9.4-61.el7 -

• RHSA-2018:2570

The Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) is an implementation of the Domain Name System (DNS) protocols. BIND includes a DNS server (named); a resolver library (routines for applications to use when interfacing with DNS); and tools for verifying that the DNS server is operating correctly. Security Fix(es): * bind: processing of certain records when "deny-answer-aliases" is in use may trigger an assert leading to a denial of service (CVE-2018-5740) For more details about the security issue(s), including the impact, a CVSS score, and other related information, refer to the CVE page(s) listed in the References section. Red Hat would like to thank ISC for reporting this issue. Upstream acknowledges Tony Finch (University of Cambridge) as the original reporter.

Link

thanks,
jas

Hi jas,

The issue in question (CVE-2018-5740) is for an obscure feature generally not enabled in a running BIND server. We also do not run BIND servers in our container images. While the flaw may be present in a package on disk, the running container is not vulnerable.

We rebuild our images with each new release, this fix will get picked up at that time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Josh Bressers
Elastic Product Security

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.