Clarity on doc values vs ordinals and effect on refresh time?

I have been going through elastic documentation and definitive guide to understand the use of doc values, ordinals and field data. While going through, I was unable to get a clear picture on in which scenario the one is chosen over the other.
The documentation for What are global ordinal says:

To support aggregations and other operations that require looking up field values on a per-document basis, Elasticsearch uses a data structure called doc values. Term-based field types such as keyword store their doc values using an ordinal mapping for a more compact representation.

The documentation for doc_values says:

Doc values are the on-disk data structure, built at document index time, which makes this data access pattern possible.

These two statements create a confusion where one says Doc values are the on-disk data structure and the other says Term-based field types such as keyword store their doc values using an ordinal mapping for a more compact representation

If I go by the above what I understand is that ordinals come into picture to create a more compact representation. This means majorly to save the space or in other words a type of compression.

My questions:

1. Is my above understanding correct or there is something I'm missing or I'm completely misunderstood?
  2. Will there always exist global ordinals for all the doc values or is it smartly decided by elastic when or when not to create it?
  3. Does ordinals come into picture only for text/keyword fields or they exist for all the data types against which aggregation is required?
  4. What stats do I need to check the usage/performance related to ordinals.

Where I come to this, is that I have noticed that the refresh in our cluster is taking more time (around 5 secs) and the reason for this what I'm suspecting is the use of parent-child which use global ordinals. So I want to understand that is this (join) the only cause or other fields can also add to it?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.