Combine multiple document into one document with limited Fields ( merging of documents )

Combine multiple documents into one document

I have a few documents, for example, 3 documents
Document - 1
{
test: "a"
}

Document - 2
{
test: "b"
}

Document - 3
{
test: "c"
}

===============Output I am looking for ==============
Document -
{
test: "a", "b","c"
}

This is like the merging of multiple documents into a single document ( could be in different index).

You will need to do that in your application. You can not format results like that in Elasticsearch.

Thank you, Christian for the reply. I need some information.
As per my understating,

1. This can not be achieved using the KQL, DSL directly.
  2. This has to be done using the java rest API

You need to have a custom step to post process the response. It can as far as I know not be done in Kibana.

I got it. Thank you, Christian, for your quick reply.

You can use a transform for it. The group_by must be based on a common criteria, e.g. a common id.

For the combining step, you can use a scripted metric, e.g.:

"all_docs": {
  "scripted_metric": {
    "init_script": "state.docs = []",
    "map_script": "state.docs.add(new HashMap(params['_source']))",
    "combine_script": "return state.docs",
    "reduce_script": "def docs = []; for (s in states) {for (d in s) { docs.add(d);}}return docs"
  }
}

this would create an array with the original docs. If you want to merge them or merge only a specific field, you need to change the example accordingly, the docs contain some more ideas.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. We are able to achieve using Painless script. is there any other way as well?

I am not aware of another solution and I think the painless solution should perform well. Painless is compiled into java byte code and therefore comparable in terms of speed with a pure java implementation.

The only real downside I see is ease of use.

Thank you, Hendrik_Muhs

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.