Compare multiple MLT queries score

I'm trying to query and compare two MLT queries but am a bit confused based on what I read here

Even though the intent of the query norm is to make results from different queries comparable, it doesn’t work very well. The only purpose of the relevance _score is to sort the results of the current query in the correct order. You should not try to compare the relevance scores from different queries.

if I ran an MLT query and document 'A' is similar to document 'B' and the score is 0.4 and conversely,
running the MLT query document 'B' is similar to document 'A' and its score is 2.4.

I would expect the score to be the same based on the tokens matched in the MLT, but that's not the case.

Also,
if I ran an MLT query and document 'A' is similar to document 'B' and the score is 0.6 and
running another MLT query document 'C' is similar to document 'A' and its score is 4.7.

So my questions are:

1. Does this imply that C is much more similar to A than B ?
  2. Also, what's the best way for me compare multiple queries in elasticsearch when the scores are different?

Thanks,

• Phil

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.