Completion of file

Is there a way to find out how much a file has already been processed by Filebeat? (e.g. completion percentage)

I have a script that does sincedb <-> inode mapping for Logstash and calculates a completion value, but I have no idea how to do this for Filebeat?

Any suggestions?

Sorry, there is no official way to do this. Can you tell us more about your use case? I take it you're processing large files?

Yes, couple of GB per file. Once I start up Filebeat it would be nice to see how much it already processed.

By the way: Is this really such a strange requirement? imho thousands of developers would be keen to have such kind of information, no?

Well, typically Filebeat is used to handle files that are constantly being appended to. It sounds like you have fixed size files that occasionally are dropped into a spot for Filebeat. Is that correct? Can you say more about your use case?

This sounds like a potential feature for x-pack monitoring, where you could drill down to a filebeat instance and see which files it is currently working on.

Would be able to open a feature request on https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues to start a discussion about what you'd like in terms of this feature?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.