Conditional on elasticsearch output not working as expected

Hi folks,
I'm using the elasticsearch output plugin, and I want to define two alternatives configurations for it, depending on a certain condition (see code below).

output {
  if [condition] {
    elasticsearch {
      hosts => [ "condition-met-host" ]
      index => "an-index-name"
    }
  } else {
    elasticsearch {
      hosts => [ "condition-not-met-host" ]
      index => "an-index-name"
    }
  }
}

Everything seems to work as expected as long as the hosts (or proxy) property of BOTH the output plugins refers to a valid Elasticsearch host. However, in practice, Logstash attempts to establish a connection also with the host of the branch that doesn't satisfy the condition. If such a host exists, no problems, you wouldn't even notice. On the contrary, if such a host doesn't exist (and this is exactly what my condition is there for), Logstash keeps trying to resurrect the connection, preventing the pipeline to terminate:

[WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Attempted to resurrect connection to dead ES instance, but got an error. {:url=>"http://condition-not-met-host:9200/", :error_type=>LogStash::Outputs::Elasticsearch::HttpClient::Pool::HostUnreachableError, :error=>"Elasticsearch Unreachable: [http://condition-not-met-host:9200/][Manticore::ResolutionFailure] condition-not-met-host: Name or service not known"}

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something important?

• thanks in advance

That's exactly what I would expect. logstash establishes a connection during initialization, and if initialization never completes then shutdown will hang.

Thanks for the reply. Then, the expected behaviour is to initialise all the plugins, regardless of whether they are defined in a conditional branch that will never be executed. Is that correct?

If that's the case, I'll need a different solution for my problem, maybe separated pipelines.

That is correct.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.