Configure elastic search query to alert when the average of Total time taken exceeds a threshold

Hi All,
I am trying to write a search query for Kibana rules for it to alert when the average of the total time taken exceeds a certain thereshold. Have tried using aggegators, filters and also scripts but on testing the results are provided only for the code written in the query block and aggregators/scripts don't work. Here is one of the queries I had tried which did not work.
Here, I am matching the name and type to get set of record under it for which average time needs to be calculated based on total time for each of the records.

{
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [
        {
          "match": {
            "name": "abc*"
          }
        },
        {
            "type": "A"
          }
        },
          {
            "avg_time": "2000"
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  },
"aggs": {
"avg_time": {
"avg": { "field": "TotalTime"}
}
}
}

Have you tried using the bucket selector aggregation?

It would be something like this:

{
    "avg_time": {
      "avg": {
        "field": "TotalTime"
      },
        "avg_time_filter": {
          "bucket_selector": {
            "buckets_path": {
              "avgTime": "avg_time"
            },
            "script": "params.avgTime > 2000"
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}
1 Like

Hi @lukas

Thanks for your reply. I tested it out and a few more solutions around bucket selector too but the aggregators are not working within the rules configured for alerts. Since having "query" section is a mandate, whenever I add the query section, it gives results only of the query and if referenced with aggregators, it returns result of query + aggregators resulting in extra documents in the results.
My requirement is to match the documents with a particular name and type and calculate the average time for those documents and return result if the average time is above 2000. And on this particular result I want to add an alert to notify users when the 2k threshold is breached.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.