Configure visualization from dashboard

I have finally managed to get my first visualization working using Vega Lite. Let's call it "host information". However it consists of 3 different queries, each based on the same value (hostname).

What I would like is to be able to configure this visualization from the dashboard so that each time I add a new "host information" I enter the hostname only once and I can reference it from all 3 queries.

Is this possible?

Furthermore I'd like to reference an environment variable to construct a url. Again is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Hi @cjessing,

Are you still having an issue? I'm not sure what you mean by configure the visualization. If you're looking to update the value of hostname used in your queries based on the value selected you need to use a token such as %dashboard_context-must_clause% to pass the state to your visualization.

Let us know if that doesn't solve your issue.

I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of reusability. Right now I have a spec that consists of two main sections: A parameter section calculating the position of all the elements in 9 different "host information components" and the 9 almost identical specifications for each of "host information components".

What I would like to be able to do, was to create a single reusable component, that could take the nescessary input variables (hostname and position) and then add 9 components to my dashboard.

I'm so sorry I'm not familiar with the correct lingo... I hope this makes sense. :slight_smile:

It does. In that case I would say passing in the value selected on the dashboard filters to filter the data in your Vega visualizations via the token such as %dashboard_context-must_clause% as I mentioned above is probably the right way to go. I worked on a similar example recently which should help you see the JSON spec you need.

Hope that helps!