Confused about the "properties" and "fields" in my index template

I used the default logstash template as a starting point and its working but Im confused about 2 things:

{
  "template": "logstash-myindex*",
  "settings": {
    "number_of_shards": 4,
    "number_of_replicas": 1
  },
  "order": 11,
  "mappings": {
    "_default_": {
      "dynamic": false,
      "_all": {
        "enabled": false
      },
      "properties": {
        "@timestamp": {
          "type": "date",
          "include_in_all": false
        },
        "@version": {
          "type": "keyword",
          "include_in_all": false
        },
        "myfield": {
          "type": "text",
          "norms": false,
          "fields": {
            "keyword": {
              "type": "keyword"
            }
          }
        },
        ... etc

I have all of the mappings for my fields nested under "properties" is this necessary? I'm not sure when I would use properties and when I would not.

Also, the "fields" setting under "myfield" is making "myfield" a "keyword" type in addition to a "text" type right? Is writing it this way just less verbose then defining it twice with each type?

Yes you should, it refers to the properties of the type (the _default_ part).

If you want it across multiple types and you don't want to define it separately in each type, yes.

Though be aware we are changing type in 6.0 - Indices, types, and parent / child: current status and upcoming changes in Elasticsearch | Elastic Blog

1 Like

Awesome thanks!

Just so I understand how this works, when I look at my events I see a "myfield" and a "myfield.keyword".

If I want to do a full text search on the field I use "myfield" which is analyzed (tokenized).
If there is a specific value I am looking for ( or to filter on ) I can use myfield.keyword.

I realized I have a bunch of my fields defined as "type": "text" AND "type": "keyword", but many of them are just ID fields that I would never need to do a full text search on. I could save space and indexing time by changing them to just keyword right?

If I did change it I would just change it to this right:

"myfield": {
  "type": "keyword",
  "norms": false,
  }

Also, I can still do wildcard searches on keyword fields right?

Sorry for all the questions thanks again.

Yes, as long as the specific value is a 100% match (case and all).

Potentially, yes.

Yep - Wildcard query | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.