Continued support for annotated text plugin?

Hi,

I am hoping to use the Mapper Annotated Text Plugin (Mapper Annotated Text Plugin | Elasticsearch Plugins and Integrations [7.5] | Elastic) but noticed this warning:

This functionality is experimental and may be changed or removed completely in a future release. Elastic will take a best effort approach to fix any issues, but experimental features are not subject to the support SLA of official GA features.

I am concerned that if I build a product using this that it may not be supported in a future version. Do you know if Elastic has plans to make this a permanent feature?

Hi @benarar ,
I've only just seen this so apologies for the delay.

We use the experimental marker for new features where we're unsure if the design is fully settled and hence reserve the right to make breaking changes or remove the feature completely.

Feedback from users is crucial to understanding if the feature is:

a) being used and
b) fit for purpose.

If we get a "yes" to both of those questions a feature will typically have the experimental marker removed and you can rely on it.
Your input would be welcomed on this. Entity extraction is not performed by the majority of users so any feedback is good.
One piece of feedback I have had is that some entity extractors produce nested observations e.g. The string President of Mexico might identify a person but the last word might also be identified as a country. There were questions as to whether we should extend the syntax to support nesting of annotations which take us closer to requiring something like XML. A workaround using the existing format is to encode flattened as follows: [President of](Andrés+Obrador) [Mexico](Andrés+Obrador&Mexico).
Is this an issue you have grappled with?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.