Contribute on Windows

(Maddin2016) #1

Hi there,

i would like to contribute to beats, especially for winlogbeats on my windows machine (WIN 10). Is there something special i have to note. Steps i have yet created install golang -> fork your repo -> cloned it on my machine. Problem is that after i have cloned it, git will delete many *.json fies. For example packetbeats\etc\kibana\visualization\...\*.json. If i reproduce the same steps on ubuntu, all is fine. Is there something special to build sources on windows?

Thanks,

Martin

(ruflin) #2

I assume you are referring to the make update command which does not directly exist on Windows? What are the commands you are running? Which python version do you have installed?

(Maddin2016) #3

I have python 2.7.12 installed. I have run no command. I only clone the repo and git status

I have no idea why it add's these files Cassandra Metricbeat and delete the *.json files. Very strange!

(Maddin2016) #4

Ooh, i think i got the problem. : is a forbidden character on windows. Is there any chance to rename these files??

Workaround for me is to do a sparse-checkout and exclude these folders. But i think this is an issue and have to discuss.

(Andrew Kroh) #5

I think the files should be renamed and the script that wrote those files should have a filter added that replaces the : if it exists in the filepath. I recall having a similar issue with '*' in the filename many months ago.

(Maddin2016) #6

Ok, should i open an issue or a pr?

(Monica Sarbu) #7

@maddin2016 Thank you for reporting the issue. Please open a GitHub issue under https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues, so we can fix other visualizations that have a similar problem.

(system) #8

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.