Hi

Having a data as follows

[
  {
    "StudentId": 1,
    "Marks": [
      {
        "SubjectId": 1,
        "vResultAttribute": """{\"TotalTasksCount\":15,\"Result\":73.3,\"TestObjectsCorrect\":64,\"TestMaxPoint\":15}"""
      },
      {
        "SubjectId": 2,
        "vResultAttribute": """{\"TotalTasksCount\":15,\"Result\":73.3,\"TestObjectsCorrect\":64,\"TestMaxPoint\":15}"""
      }
    ]
  },
  {
    "StudentId": 2,
    "Marks": [
      {
      },
      {
        "SubjectId": 2,
      }
    ]
  }
]

I need to find the average of Result (vResultAttribute column is saved in elastic as a string) of each subject for each student.
How can we do this in elastic?

Thanks
Aneesh L

I would recommend restructuring how you model your data. Maybe breaking up the example you provided into multiple documents with the following structure during indexing could make querying easier?

{
  "StudentId": 1,
  "Marks": {
    "TotalTasksCount":15,
    "Result":73.3,
    "TestObjectsCorrect":64,
    "TestMaxPoint":15
  }
}

Can I use JSON processor which convert to json and then apply aggregations.
All these Need to do in a single search instance.

I am not sure I understand. You need to do this transformation before you index the data. You will therefore need to reindex existing data.

I mean, without restructuring is it possible (With string data)
with the help of JSON processor to convert string to json object and then apply aggregations

Given that you likely need to use a script to parse the JSON string and also have a nested structure, I suspect it would not be straightforward, but I can't say whether it is possible or not. Maybe someone else have done something similar in the past and can assist?

Hope the same.
Thanks Christian_Dahlqvist

Do what @Christian_Dahlqvist wrote at Convert string to object and finding average

That's really the way to solve this problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.