Creating cases from signals

Hi, I am trying to understand a couple of things with Detections and Cases in Elastic SIEM -

1. Is there a way to automatically create cases for some rule detections ?
  2. Is there a way to store or create Case Templates in Cases (which then can also be attached to some detections where we want an automatic creation of a case) ?

Thanks

Hi again @forkhead, thanks for the continued interest!

1. Is there a way to automatically create cases for some rule detections ?

No, there is not currently an in-app method for automatically creating a case as a rule action. This is something that we are investigating for a future release. We have heard this request from MSSP-type users, who have a SLA in place that requires them to auto-create case upon certain detections.

1. Is there a way to store or create Case Templates in Cases (which then can also be attached to some detections where we want an automatic creation of a case) ?

No, there is not currently a way to do this in the SIEM app. This too is an area of investigation for future capabilities. As a partial workaround, one idea is to include the case template in the rule's advanced setting "Investigation guide." When a signal detected by the rule is investigated in the Timeline, the "Investigation guide" text is automatically populated in the Timeline Notes. When creating a case from the Timeline, the analyst can first copy the text from the Timeline Note, and then paste it into the newly opened case.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Haha @Mike_Paquette thanks for the replies. Yes, I was thinking if there is an in-app way to create cases where we always want those detections to be investigated but I think the other option I see is basically using the Signals API to fetch those and Cases API to create the case. For the other question let me look into the "Investigation guide" functionality.

Thanks