Creating Snapshot repository, Linux and windows paths get mixed. Why?

Hi
I have 3 Nodes. 2 on Windows and 1 on linux. I want to try the snapshoting feature. As far as I know I have to set the path.repoon every node. So I created the network drive e which is on the PC Scot
YML:

1. Windows1 path.repo: ["\\\\SCOT\\e\\SnapshotTesting"]
  2. Windows2 path.repo: ["\\\\SCOT\\e\\SnapshotTesting"]
  3. Linux:
    I mounted SCOT with: sudo mount.cifs //IPofScot/e/SnapshotTesting /mnt/share -o user=user
    With this I can access the SnapshotTesting with /mnt/share.
    So I set path.repo: /mnt/share

Now I tried the following API (on Windows1):

localhost:9200/_snapshot/my_backup2
{
  "type": "fs",
  "settings": {
    "location": "\\\\SCOTTY\\e\\SnapshotTesting"
  }
}

But I get the following error:

'RemoteTransportException[[batman_node3][172.22.23.72:9300][internal:admin/repository/verify]]; nested: RepositoryException[[my_backup2] cannot create blob store]; nested: FileSystemException[**/mnt/share/\\\\SCOT\\e\\SnapshotTesting**: The argument is invalid];']]"

Why does it mix up the 2 paths? How can I fix this?

Thanks,
defalt

The path must be the same across all nodes, which makes it hard to use file system snapshots on mixed OS cluster (which is not recommended anyway).

1 Like

Ok good to know. Is there any way to backup this system? Maybe stop allocation, put node 3 away and thank backup node 1 and 2? Its all experimental, so I just try to understand what is possible. If its not possible at all its fine too^^

Thanks

Maybe, but have never tried it.

Is it ok if I just manually backup the indices folders? They should store all the data right?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.