Cross-cluster search not returning all hits from IDs query, sometimes

Why do my cross-cluster IDs queries sometimes return all but 1 or 2 of the results?

I have a 7.2.0 cluster executing an IDs query across 3 remote clusters usually with 500-1000 IDs in each query. I set the size parameter to be the length of my ID array. I usually get back all of the IDs but sometimes I get back all but 1 or 2 of them. Repeating the query again gets me 100% of the results.

If I just hit the clusters directly instead of going through CCS, I get back 100% of the results all the time with size=len(my_ids).

Thinking it might be a fencepost error, I tried len(my_ids)+1 but no luck. I also tried setting ccs_minimize_roundtrips=False just as a wild guess.

Strange as that all is, I seem to have found a hacky workaround: if I double the size param (i.e., size=2*len(my_ids)), I get back 100% of the results all the time.

Can anyone suggest what might be happening there?

Possibly related to IDs query returning incomplete results.

1 Like

Hi Loren,
could you post more details on how to reproduce this please? Some sample data, your query etc.?

Thanks
Luca

Thank you for responding Luca.

The query was very simple:

GET cluster1:my_index,cluster2:my_index,cluster3:my_index/_search
{
  "size": 5678, 
  "_source": "pa*", 
  "query": {
    "ids": {
      "values": [
        "id1",
        "id2",
        "id3",
        "id4",
       "id5678"
      ]
    }
  }
}

I wish I could replicate it for you. The 3 indices on the remote clusters are all multi-TB, and the error only happens 5-10% of the time for a group of IDs, and then never again for that group.

As I ended up needing to bring back more than 10000 results, I changed the search query to a scan/scroll. I have not observed the problem there.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful in tracking this down. Perhaps someone else will run across this issue, too, and add their finding to this post.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.