Curator Multiple Snapshots at paticular time?

Hi Team,

My Usecase:

I have 6 VM's in my azure account and i want to use Curator 4.2.6 to snapshot the indices and running 3 snapshot curator jobs in each VM at particular time (10.00 PM) . I will run these curator jobs using a cron job. But in one documentation i had seen Curator can't do 2 backups at the same time .

Questions:

1. If i keep wait_for_completion: True Whether one snapshot will wait until the next is complete?
    2)How long a snapshot will wait for if wait_for_completion: True is there? What will be happen if it reach the timeout time ? Where all the snapshots which are in queue will be failed if the starting snapshot will reach its timeout time?

Thanks

It's not Curator that can't do 2 backups at the same time, but Elasticsearch. If a snapshot is in progress, any other attempts to begin snapshots will fail.

wait_for_completion only counts for running snapshots. It will keep trying until either the snapshot completes. or the client times out, which is defined as timeout in the client configuration file, or timeout_override in the action file. It will not wait for a previous snapshot to finish and then begin its snapshot.

Rather than starting each job simultaneously, you would do better to have the snapshots run serially, so that one begins immediately after the others.

Thanks @theuntergeek[quote="theuntergeek, post:2, topic:89377"]
Rather than starting each job simultaneously, you would do better to have the snapshots run serially, so that one begins immediately after the others
[/quote]

You want me to configure in cron job to run serially by giving 2 min interval between all the curator snapshots jobs OR Is there any flag in curator which will make all my curator jobs to run serially ?

THANKS

Not a flag in Curator, but separate actions. The actions run serially:

---
actions:
  1:
    action: snapshot
    description: First snapshot
    options:
  2:
    description: Second snapshot
    options:
  3:
    description: Third snapshot
    options:

Thanks @theuntergeek

Is it a best practice to keep the wait_for_completion: False in all snapshot curator jobs which are running serially OR should i enable it? Because by default the flag will be True .

Thanks

You absolutely must use wait_for_completion: True for serial snapshot jobs, as Elasticsearch will not allow you to run more than one at a time. The others would detect the previous one running and immediately fail, otherwise.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.