Custom index not showing in Kibana V8.8.0

I have multiple filebeats v 7.17.5 are configured on different remote servers with custom index names. I have recently updated my ELk stack to 8.8.0 and also updating the filebeat version to 8.8.0. I also try to add some new remote ubuntu servers in elk but the issue is i try to create custom index and start the filebeat but that index is not showing in kibana v8.80 data view. here is the my custom index settings.

output.elasticsearch:
  # Array of hosts to connect to.
  hosts: "http://x.x.x.x.x:9200"
  username: "citsale"
  password: "mFVKkXXNnOuUzgahLpLpp"
  # Protocol - either `http` (default) or `https`.
  ssl.verification_mode: none

# Authentication credentials - either API key or username/password.
  index: "test"
setup.template.name: "test"
setup.template.pattern: "test-*"

Does it show in GET _cat/indices?v

Nops, its not showing in `GET _cat/indices?v'

Ok then Filebeat isn't sending anything to Elasticsearch. You might need to check the logs of it.

1 Like

As Mark said, check FB logs and the network communication. If you don't have logs, enable it at least temporary

For test purpose, you can see does FB read a log by changing:

output.console:
  pretty: true

I found some error but didn't know why its occurring i was following the same procedure in FB 7.17.7 to load the template in ELK and that was working, but when i tried to same steps for FB 8.8.0 i am getting the below error.

Exiting: error loading template: failed to put data stream: could not put data stream: 400 Bad Request: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [linux]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [linux]"},"status":400}. Response body: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [linux]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [linux]"},"status":400}

i also tried to disable the data stream but no luck.

So you had 7.17.7 and go for FB 8.8.0? Do you have additional modules enabled? It sounds like you have the system module enabled.

Yes, i had using 7.17.7 and then upgraded to 8.8.0. Yes, i have enabled the modules apache
nginx, system

The most likely you haven't completed the upgrade process.
Follow the upgrade steps.

./filebeat setup --index-management
./filebeat setup --dashboards

If this will not work then filebeat setup -e.
There is an option to export templates for only 3 modules, and manually create, described here , and you will need dashboards, export, import.

Hi @Rios thanks for the help. I can see the index now in Index Templates, but when i trying to create a DataView to view the logs of filebeat so that index is not showing there

while running the filebeat setup -e the index loaded in index template but getting the below error.
Exiting: error loading template: failed to put data stream: could not put data stream: 400 Bad Request: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [staging]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [staging]"},"status":400}. Response body: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [staging]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no matching index template found for data stream [staging]"},"status":400}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.