Data Storage Policy in Elastic Search

Hi,

The version of ES is 7.0.0. I am curious to know how index stored at ES nodes. Let me give you one scenario:

In our ES cluster, there are 5 indices including .kibana. The _cat/shards api has been showing that data of only two indices reside on IP A. The role of A is mdi (master, data, ingest eligible node). But when I am going to /app/elasticsearch/data/ESNode/nodes/0/indices directory in IP A, there are five folders. The name of each folder corresponds to uuid of those five indices. According to me, as _cat/shards has been showing that data of only two indices reside on IP A, there should be only two folders in /app/elasticsearch/data/ESNode/nodes/0/indices. Please let me know if I am missing out something.

Thanks for your time,
Karan

Hey Folks,

Any explanation for above scenario.

Thanks,
Karan

Hi @kjain14,

A folder per index is created on following nodes:

• master eligible nodes
  • data nodes having that index

The folder will contain meta-data about the index and for the data-node holding shards of the index, the actual data.

Please never touch anything inside these folders, doing so can easily lead to data loss.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

Best,
Karan

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.