Date filter does not assign value to target field

Hi- I'm having some trouble using a date filter in logstash. I am able to parse the date elements from the original log message into a custom field, but the date filter does not assign it to the @timestamp field and I don't understand why not. I am not getting _dateparsefailure tags in the output, either, so I'm befuddled.

Here's my logstash configuration:

input {
  file {
    path => "/home/netaffx/wl-proxy.*.log"
    type => "wl-proxy-log"
    start_position => "beginning"
  }
}

filter {
  if [type] == "wl-proxy-log" {
    grok {
      match => {
        "message" => [
          "%{DATA}\s+\[%{WORD:method}\s+%{URIPATH:uri_path}%{URIPARAM:uri_params}?\s+%{URIPROTO:uri_proto}/%{BASE10NUM:proto_version}\]\s+%{GREEDYDATA}\n?",
          "(%{DAY}\s+)?(?<syslog_datetime>%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP}\s+%{YEAR})\s+<%{INT:session_id}>\s+(?<log_message>ap_unescape_url return success. Using tempQueryStr =\s+{GREEDYDATA:uri_params})\n?",
          "(%{DAY}\s+)?(?<syslog_datetime>%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP}\s+%{YEAR})\s+<%{INT:session_id}>\s+%{GREEDYDATA:log_message}\n?",
          "(%{DAY}\s+)?(?<syslog_datetime>%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP}\s+%{YEAR})\s+<%{INT:session_id}>\s+%{DATA}\s+\[%{URIPATH}%{URIPARAM:uri_params}\]\n?"
        ]
      }
      break_on_match => true
    }
    date {
      match => [ "syslog_datetime[0]", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss yyyy", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss yyyy" ]
      locale => "en-US"
      timezone => "America/Los_Angeles"
      target => "@timestamp"
    }
    kv {
      source => "uri_params"
      field_split => "&?"
    }
  }
}

output {
  if [type] == "wl-proxy-log" {
    elasticsearch {
      ssl => false
      index => "wl-proxy"
      manage_template => false
    }
  }
}

Here is the JSON that results from that:

{
  "_index": "wl-proxy",
  "_type": "wl-proxy-log",
  "_id": "gL7He2ABNapjGXAZJiUn",
  "_version": 1,
  "_score": null,
  "_source": {
    "path": "/home/netaffx/wl-proxy.ws8-prod.colo.log",
    "@timestamp": "2017-12-22T01:12:16.713Z",
    "syslog_datetime": "Sep 29 16:23:40 2016",
    "@version": "1",
    "host": "na6.affymetrix.com",
    "session_id": "6249147519142051",
    "log_message": "request [/publications/full_list.affx?year=2006&result_page=23] processed sucessfully..................",
    "message": "Thu Sep 29 16:23:40 2016 <6249147519142051> request [/publications/full_list.affx?year=2006&result_page=23] processed sucessfully..................",
    "type": "wl-proxy-log"
  },
  "fields": {
    "@timestamp": [
      "2017-12-22T01:12:16.713Z"
    ]
  },
  "sort": [
  ]
}

I think that the issue may be related to the parsed field being a string, and the field that I am trying to assign it to is a datetime, but I haven't been able to establish that and the documentation seems to indicate that the date filter, if it is parsing the field correctly, will output a value that is compatible with a date field.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance!

match => [ "syslog_datetime[0]", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss yyyy", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss yyyy" ]

Why syslog_datetime[0]? The syslog_datetime field isn't an array.

I used the grok debugger to test the pattern and it returned the structure below, which shows syslog_datetime as an array within an array. In practice, if I use just syslog_datetime something strange happens and the resulting document does not contain a syslog_datetime field at all, even though I did nothing to change the grok filter! I don't pretend to understand why this is the case.

Here's the document shown by the grok debugger:

{
  "DAY": [
    [
      "Thu"
    ]
  ],
  "syslog_datetime": [
    [
      "Sep 29 15:14:22 2016"
    ]
  ],
  "SYSLOGTIMESTAMP": [
    [
      "Sep 29 15:14:22"
    ]
  ],
  "MONTH": [
    [
      "Sep"
    ]
  ],
  "MONTHDAY": [
    [
      "29"
    ]
  ],
  "TIME": [
    [
      "15:14:22"
    ]
  ],
  "HOUR": [
    [
      "15"
    ]
  ],
  "MINUTE": [
    [
      "14"
    ]
  ],
  "SECOND": [
    [
      "22"
    ]
  ],
  "YEAR": [
    [
      "2016"
    ]
  ],
  "session_id": [
    [
      "624514751872623"
    ]
  ],
  "log_message": [
    [
      "Remote Host 192.168.4.48 Remote Port 10101"
    ]
  ]
}

I can't speak for the grok debugger, but your sample event clearly shows that syslog_datetime isn't an array but a string.

if I use just syslog_datetime something strange happens and the resulting document does not contain a syslog_datetime field at all, even though I did nothing to change the grok filter!

Please show the input, output, and configuration of when that happens.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.