Date filter in logstash

Hi,

I am trying to use Date filter of the logstash to create a timestamp on my data stored in Elasticsearch. The timestamp in my data is in Linux format and I want to change it to some standard format like as "dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss". I have two questions to ask:
1- I wonder if it is possible to change the UNIX time format to the format I want within the dat filter or I should first change the format and then parse the new format into the filter?

2- I have used the filter as below but I cannot see any timestamp in my data stored in the index of Elasticsearch! (start_time is the field in my data containing the Unix time)

filter {
    date {
        match => ["start_time", 'UNIX']
        target => "start_time"
    }

Could anybody please help out?

Thanks

Can you share an example of how the value of the start_time field looks like?

Maybe you have epoch time with miliseconds, then you would need to use UNIX_MS.

Thank you @leandrojmp for the response. This is an example of my time:
"start_time": 1618484099000, I know it is in miliseconds and I can convert it to the format I want with this command in linux (date -d @time). Should I use UNIX_MS?

Thanks.

Yes, just change from UNIX to UNIX_MS in your date filter, it should work.

@leandrojmp Thank you so much for your quick and very helpful response. It is working by UNIX_MS. The only problem I have is that when I send a bulk of 3 docs to my index it seems only the last one is stored in the index. I have tried to read my index content both with a curl command in my terminal and also by creating the index in kibana to visualize it. Both results are the same!
I also save this data in a file (as logstash output filter) and I can see all 3 docs in the output file. Could you please help about this too? Any thing I may have missed?

Since this is a different issue, I would suggest that you open another topic, describe the issue and share your logstash pipeline.

Ok. Thank you so much.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.