Hello,

I have an index that contains documents such as the follow:

{
  "event" : "pageView",
  "owner" : "5dbec3a4-55bf-4c83-912e-6ddb56623bc4",
  "session" : "c17b4d6c-dfea-4ecb-8c6f-7401f8f8595a",
  "createdAt" : "2019-07-15T17:03:34Z"
}

I am looking to group information by each unique session UUID and after that group them into a Date Histogram per 24h.

The following query does seem to retrieve what I am looking:

GET events/_search?size=0&filter_path=aggregations.sessions_over_time.buckets
{
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "filter": [{
        "term": {
          "owner.keyword": "5dbec3a4-55bf-4c83-912e-6ddb56623bc4"
        }
      }]
    }
  },
  "aggs": {
    "sessions_over_time": {
      "date_histogram": {
        "field": "createdAt",
          "interval": "24h",
          "format": "yyyy-MM-dd"
      },
      "aggs": {
        "unique_sessions": {
          "terms": {
            "field": "session.keyword"
          }
        },
        "total_sessions": {
          "sum_bucket": {
            "buckets_path": "unique_sessions>_count"
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

However:

1. How can I retrieve only the date intervals from histogram+total_sessions and not the unique sessions in the answer? Of course I need unique_sessions to be present to be able to calculate the total_sessions, but I don't need it at all in the response.

2. I should specify a size in the unique_sessions term agg othersize a default size of 10 will be used and will limit the veracity of the data, is that right? I have read that composite aggregation might help on this case as it gets the entire data being able to scroll efficiently. How could I use such agg here?

Thanks!

EDIT:

1. Meanwhile, I figured it out I could just use this filter_path and that would cleanup a lot of the response for me:

GET analytics/_search?size=0&filter_path=aggregations.sessions_over_time.buckets.key_as_string,aggregations.sessions_over_time.buckets.total_sessions

If there is any other neat way to do it that would involve less processing somehow, let me know.

The 2) point still needs some clarification however.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.