Deploying ELK stack using ECK on GCK Auto Pilot

Hello,

When I was first trying deploying elasticaserach stack using ECK on Google Cloud Kubernetes in Auto Pilot mode. I could not perform only one thing from the documentation which was setting

command: ['sh', '-c', 'sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=262144']
on the elasticserach nodes

Do I really need this command to run on elasticserach pods and without that, I can expect some unwanted unexpected behavior of the cluster, or will there be just a max cap of RAM that the node can properly use? If so what is that value?

I am kindly hoping for your answer.

We have a page in our documentation that explains this kernel setting here: Virtual memory | Elastic Cloud on Kubernetes [master] | Elastic

Hello Peter,

thank you for your answer.

My question was raised from my last experience trying to deploy elasticserach cluster using ECK and Google Cloud Kubernetes in Autopilot mode. When I tried to deploy this configuration you can notice that I kept privileged: false, because It's not allowed to run privileged pods as this says(This generated some error about command but was running just without it).

I still want to use autopilot mode for bigger abstraction, less overhead, and cheaper solution.

Summering, my question is what are the limits that I should expect(like index size or maybe max_heap setting) leaving vm.max_map_count as the default value 65536?

I have read the documentation one more time and I came to a conclusion that these privilege pods do not matter if you choose for example niofs storage type.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.