Differentiate between logs based on log.file.path

Hi,

I've a server hosting several sites containing multiple IIS logs from each site in structure like this:

D:\IISLogs\Customer1\logs
D:\IISLogs\Customer2\logs
D:\IISLogs\Customer3\logs

I'm using filebeat with IIS module to send the logs to logstash and then output them to elasticsearch. I would like to differentiate between the logs in kibana, preferably by customer name.

I've seen that filebeat adds log.file.path as metadata. Is there anyway to add a field with the customers name based on the log.file.path?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

With filebeat dissect processor you could extract the customer from the log.file.path field and save it to another field.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I did check out the filebeat documentation for dissect, however I'm still not sure how it functions.

I've posted the following in my filebeat.yml configuration file under Processors:

processors:

• dissect:
    tokenizer: "%{Key1} - %{Key2}"
    field: "log.file.path"
    target_prefix: "NewFieldCustomerName"

But i'm not sure how I should set up the tokenizer pattern to match the customer name in my file structure, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I agree the filebeat documentation for the dissect processor is a bit thin.
I can recommend reading the documentation for the logstash dissect filter plugin which explains in more details how it works and how it can be used to extract information from fields/strings.
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-filters-dissect.html

There is also a blog post here:

I'm not saying that filebeat implementation is exactly the same as logstash though.
I don't know.
You should open an issue on github about the documentation for the filebeat dissect processor because it is indeed lacking.
If the implementation is the same, it could include a link to the logstash dissect. It could also mentions the differences if there are any.

Your tokenizer should probably be something like
"%{}\%{}\%{customername}\%{}\%{}"

to match a log.file.path value of D:\IISLogs\Customer1\logs\logfile.txt and extract Customer1 into customername

Hello,

Thank you for you reply.

I've added the following to my filebeat configuraiton under processors:

processors:

• add_host_metadata: ~
  • add_cloud_metadata: ~

processors:
- dissect:
tokenizer: "%{}\{customername}\%{}"
field: "log.file.path"
target_prefix: "Customer"

For testing purposes I've a log path which looks like the following: C:\customer\u_ex160121.log
I had to use double \ to esacpe the backslash otherwise filebeat wont start.

I run logging.level: debug but I can't see any trace that any dissection is happening at all.

Thanks yet again, very helpful.

Hi, thanks for you reply. I accidentally replied to my own thread instead of your response.

You are missing the percentage in front of the {customername}, it should look like below:

tokenizer: "%{}\%{customername}\%{}"

Every field you want to recognise should be of the form %{}

1 Like

Wow, my bad. Thank you.

It works like a charm. Now I get a field called "Customer" with the actual customer name as the value.

Cheers!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.