Disabling controls in dashboard

Hello there,

I'm running the stack 7.10 and I would like to know if there is a way to disable a control in a dashboard?

Since we can't pre-filter a control (issue #17301) to display a single value or exclude differents values, I am pre-selecting a value for my control in my dashboard.

The issue is that the user can change the selected value.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Actually, my data is in one index and I don't really want to split my data into 17 index (according to my use case).

Best regards,
Alexandre

Hi @Alexandre.Bernier,

I'd like to better understand your use case.

Do you want to have a dashboard with a specific filter applied that users can't change? I believe that you can do so by creating the visualizations with the filter internally applied.

An alternative would be to limit what the users can see. If the users can only see the info for one department only, You could use the permissions to allow the user to only see the docs that match a certain query using the Document-level security options.

Hi @afharo,

Thanks for the answer!

Here's the full explanation of my use case:

• I use only one index, let's say test-*

• In that index, I have multiple fields, but for the example: Department, ProductGroup and Part. Department and ProductGroup are use for the filtering. When we look at the documents, we see that a Department can have multiple ProductGroup.

• In a dashboard, we create a chart displaying the number of document by Part.

• We add two controls (filter). The first one is for the Department and the second one is for the ProductGroup. The Department is the parent of ProductGroup.

• We give access to the user Qwerty. He's a member of ZXCV department. He can only see data from that department. We don't want him to see data from AZERTY department.

• The chart has already an internal filter to display the data only for ZXCV.

• The issue start here.

• The user needs to be able to filter by ProductGroup. To filter the ProductGroup, we need to select a Department but the user is still able to change the Department.

Ideally, it would be nice if I could only display the ProductGroup control filtered by a specific department in my dashboard, but we can't actually do that. We're not able to filter a control.

For the document security level, that's a good one. I didn't know that we were able to do this. The only sad thing about that is that I'm running a basic license.

Regards,
Alexandre

Thank you for the explanation. I think you are right: Input Controls show every possible value, and it's not affected by any other filters.

I also see you commented on [Input Controls] Ability to Filter an Input Control · Issue #17301 · elastic/kibana · GitHub, and I notice some activity from my colleagues around that issue. Hopefully, it'll be fixed soon.

In the meanwhile, maybe Filtered aliases could work for you? Or considering bumping your subscription to make use of Document-level security :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey Alejandro!

Happy to learn that there is some development around the issue!

I will take a look at Filtered aliases.

For now, short-term solution that I applied, I created an index by department. It's not cool but it's doing the work.

If the Filtered aliases do the job, I might change my setup again.

Thanks for your help and have a nice day! :slight_smile:
Alexandre

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.