Displaying time series in Canvas

Hi,

I have a data set based on some server logs containing sent- and received amount of data and client IPs. The dataset is a collection of these documents:
{ .. server_ip: IP1, client_ip: IP2, read: 2232323234, write: 232322, ...}

Hopefully it's ok to ask 2 questions:

1. I'd like to create a Canvas text element displaying the number of distinct client_ips. I tried something like "SELECT DISTINCT client_ip from log" but apparently no "DISTINCT" support yet. (I'm running Kibana 7.12)

2. both the read and written fields' value is monotonically increasing, ie.: the total amount of data read/written up to that point. Is it possible to create another text element that counts up the used bandwith, ie.: for each client_IP it finds the lowest and highest value of the read/write fields and divides by the time period.

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks,
Gábor

Hi @gabor

For question 1)
You should be able to do the unique count via the expression, instead of essql.

Something like this

filters
| essql query="SELECT  client_ip from log"
| ply by="client_ip" expression={head 1}
| rowCount 

For #2, I'm not sure I completely understand. I think I understand you want the highread - lowread for the total, but where does the time period come from?

Hi @corey.robertson,

Thans for the suggestion on q1; I do get this problem:

Whoops! Expression failed

Expression failed with the message:

[essql] > Unexpected error from Elasticsearch: [verification_exception] Found 1 problem line 1:8: SELECT DISTINCT is not yet supported

As I mentioned, I'm running Kibana 7.12

With regards to Q2, I'm happy to elaborate: so, I have these docs in my index, each representing a measurement. They are taken in ca. every 30s interval. I'm looking for the amount of data exchanged between server_ip and client_ip, measured by MBytes/sec in the arbitrarily selected "time period". Suppose doc1 and doc2 are the nearest to the start and end of this "time period". Both of these will have a read/write value. I'd like to visualize the average: (doc2.read - doc1.read) / (t2 - t1)

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Apologies for that error. You need to take distinct out of the query. I've edited my original response to correct it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.