Elastic Endpoint Expected CPU Usage

Hello,

I've been playing around with Elastic Endpoint lately on my home Windows 10 pc, which has 4 CPU cores. I see that the elastic-endpoint.exe process is using around 24 % Normalized CPU:

I'm just wondering if this is expected and if not, what I can do reduce the CPU usage?

Grtz

Willem

I'd mostly say that one a Windows 10 PC I would expect the CPU usage to be lower, but looking at that graph seeing that Java process using ~25% CPU as well makes me wonder if endpoint is just spending those cycles monitoring what java is doing.

What is that java process? Does it do a lot of file IO? Can you share your endpoint policy config from Kibana so we can see what all the endpoint might be doing?

The java process is an elasticsearch node to which the endpoint is indexing. The node process is a Kibana process. On my phone now, ill post policy config later.

In that case, I believe there's a "feedback loop" of sorts happening where ES is writing to disk, Endpoint is sending the file write events to ES, and ES is writing them to disk. You could test this by turning off file events. The other option would be to add a trusted process entry for that java instance. Both of those are not ideal in production, but we're working on better solutions. Currently its not usually expected for the ES instance that Endpoint is sending data to be running on the same box.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Currently we'd only seen internal reports of this happening on linux hosts.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fast answer @NickFritts I will verify / test your recommendations asap and let you know the results.

Ok, did some tests:

Started with add java.exe as a trusted application around 18:30.

I was surprised I could only see hash and path as option to filter on? So this would mean all java.exe's on all endpoints are currently assumed trusted?

Checked the grap and it did not seem to have any effect. Is there anything else I need to do to push this to the Elastic Agent?

Only recently started playing with Lens. When I do sth similar with TSVB (Max Normalized CPU Usage By Process Name)

It shows the CPU only doing relatively short spikes.

So then I edited the endpoint-01 policy and unchecked File

In the endpoint details, I see:

This was done around 18:48

No change in CPU usage afterwards. But considering I might have misread the Lens graph, maybe this relatively shorter CPU spikes to 24 % are expected after all?

The weird thing is that when I am not using a filter on the endpoint process, the graph does dispaly the drops:

On the same dashboard, after setting a filter:

Grtz

Willem

A day later:

CPU usage the same as before disabling file events.

Some extra info:

So 97 % of the endpoint file events did indeed seem to come from the java process. Weird that there is no noticeable CPU usage decrease, no?

Grtz

Willem

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.