Elastic search Indexes

Hi Team,

I am new to elastic search and ELK configuration. By following the documentation i was able to configure the ELK. I am pushing my application logs to Elastic search and the view the data in Kibana.

Now i wanted to understand the best practices to follow for this to be deployed for real time applications. I wanted to put my log information from Cluster of nodes to the Elastic search and over a period of time my application log information is going to increase drastically.

I am looking at what are the best practices to create an index so that i should be able to delete 1 month old data from elastic search index. I dont want to delete the whole index only part of the data in that needs to be deleted.

Regards
Manju

I would say daily indices. I have Logstash creating a new Elasticsearch index everyday and then I can set a "retention period" with Curator to delete indices older than a certain amount of days.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any configuration or documentation which explains me to create daily indices automatically.

It's the default for Elasticsearch output in Logstash

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-outputs-elasticsearch.html#plugins-outputs-elasticsearch-index

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.