Elastic Stack on OpenShift

Hi,

I want to install the Elastic Stack on OpenShift Container Platform.

To start with Elasticsearch, I deployed the official elasticsearch:7.2.0 image from docker hub on OCP but the pod does not start successfully.

Get following error

BlockquoteERROR: [2] bootstrap checks failed
[1]: max virtual memory areas vm.max_map_count [65530] is too low, increase to at least [262144]
[2]: the default discovery settings are unsuitable for production use; at least one of [discovery.seed_hosts, discovery.seed_providers, cluster.initial_master_nodes] must be configured

Is there any configuration needed to run it successfully?

Thanks,

1 Like

Yes, the configuration you need to change is listed in the very message you quote. You must increase vm.max_map_count and configure at least one of the listed discovery settings.

@DavidTurner Thank you for your response.

Yes I did manage to solve the vm.max_map_count by increasing it directly on worker nodes but the second error is still there.

How and where do I apply the discovery settings while deploying the offical image on OpenShift? What should be the value for discovery settings since it will run as a pod in OCP and not on a VM or physical server?

Is there any documentation/blog on deploying the Elastic Stack on OpenShift?

I am interested in deploying ELK and Filebeat to start with.

Appreciate if you can give pointers or guide me on this.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know much about OpenShift (it's not something I think we really support) but the discovery process shouldn't be very different there, so all the documentation should still apply in your case. If you have a one-node cluster then normally the simplest thing to do is to set cluster.initial_master_nodes to the name of the node.

During installation process of OpenShift Container Platform (OCP), if logging module is enabled, Elastic Fluentd Kibana (EFK) stack gets provisioned in OCP. This process provisions old versions of EFK.

There is some documentation on elastic.co on Running Filebeat on Kubernetes/OCP through manifest file filebeat-kubernetes.yaml as shown in below image...

with additional reference of RedHat OpenShift configuration

For those who want provision latest versions of ELK on OCP and want to have full control of the stack configuration, how do they proceed?

I could not find any documentation/guide for ELK on elastic.co or outside.

Could you help give any reference to contact?

Thank you,

To be clear, there is documentation on running Filebeat on Kubernetes, but no mention of OCP.

If OCP is installing an old version of the Elastic Stack for its logging module then it's probably best to seek help from the good people that develop OCP.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.