Elasticsearch 1.7 logrotation crashes for clusters with low logging

Hello,

We have specific active Elasticsearch clusters whose logrotation crushes frequently.

We have more than 100 elasticsearch clusters and just some specific keep crushing their logrotation.
After investigation, I have come to conclude that it has something to do with the small amount of logging to those clusters. Some days there are no logs to those clusters.

I have two suspects:

1. either log4j.properties minimum size, which I could not locate ( as a file ) somewhere in the installation. Thus I wonder wether it is overriden by something or has some kind of defaults if not present.

2. The conversion pattern of the logs which looks something like this:

file:
         type: extrasRollingFile
         file: ${path.logs}/${cluster.name}.log
         rollingPolicy: timeBased
         rollingPolicy.FileNamePattern: ${path.logs}/${cluster.name}.log.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.gz
         layout:
           type: pattern
           conversionPattern: "[%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c] %m%n"

That, because some days there are no logs, so maybe if it goes through a day that cannot rotate. itremains crushed for the rest of the days as well, and needs a service restart.
    So do you believe it is the small size of the logs to blame or the absense of logs that blocks log rotation?

log4j or logging.yml?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.