Elasticsearch-6.2.2 installation issue

hi,

Installed elasicsearch-6.2.2
When running using sudo service elasticsearch start
elasticsearch is not starting
and even not getting log files aslo
so, went to messages and see there find

Mar 27 12:34:54 RFG-LOG-01 systemd: Started Elasticsearch.
Mar 27 12:34:54 RFG-LOG-01 systemd: Starting Elasticsearch...
Mar 27 12:34:54 RFG-LOG-01 elasticsearch: /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-env: line 70: /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch: Permission denied
Mar 27 12:34:54 RFG-LOG-01 systemd: elasticsearch.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 27 12:34:54 RFG-LOG-01 systemd: Unit elasticsearch.service entered failed state.
Mar 27 12:34:54 RFG-LOG-01 systemd: elasticsearch.service failed.

Please let me know what could be the problem

What are the elasticsearch logs please ?

what i mean is log is also not generating to see what could be the error

Might a bad configuration of your elasticsearch.yml file if you modified it.

yes i modified but don't think so any wrong in it

# ======================== Elasticsearch Configuration =========================
#
# NOTE: Elasticsearch comes with reasonable defaults for most settings.
#       Before you set out to tweak and tune the configuration, make sure you
#       understand what are you trying to accomplish and the consequences.
#
# The primary way of configuring a node is via this file. This template lists
# the most important settings you may want to configure for a production cluster.
#
# Please consult the documentation for further information on configuration options:
# https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/index.html
#
# ---------------------------------- Cluster -----------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for your cluster:
#
#cluster.name: my-application
#
# ------------------------------------ Node ------------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for the node:
#
#node.name: node-1
#
# Add custom attributes to the node:
#
#node.attr.rack: r1
#
# ----------------------------------- Paths ------------------------------------
#
# Path to directory where to store the data (separate multiple locations by comma):
#
path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch
#
# Path to log files:
#
path.logs: /var/log/elasticsearch
#
# ----------------------------------- Memory -----------------------------------
#
# Lock the memory on startup:
#
#bootstrap.memory_lock: true
#
# Make sure that the heap size is set to about half the memory available
# on the system and that the owner of the process is allowed to use this
# limit.
#
# Elasticsearch performs poorly when the system is swapping the memory.
#
# ---------------------------------- Network -----------------------------------
#
# Set the bind address to a specific IP (IPv4 or IPv6):
#
#network.host: 192.168.0.1
#
# Set a custom port for HTTP:
#
#http.port: 9200
#
# For more information, consult the network module documentation.
#
# --------------------------------- Discovery ----------------------------------
#
# Pass an initial list of hosts to perform discovery when new node is started:
# The default list of hosts is ["127.0.0.1", "[::1]"]
#
#discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["host1", "host2"]
#
# Prevent the "split brain" by configuring the majority of nodes (total number of master-eligible nodes / 2 + 1):
#
#discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes:
#
# For more information, consult the zen discovery module documentation.
#
# ---------------------------------- Gateway -----------------------------------
#
# Block initial recovery after a full cluster restart until N nodes are started:
#
#gateway.recover_after_nodes: 3
#
# For more information, consult the gateway module documentation.
#
# ---------------------------------- Various -----------------------------------
#
# Require explicit names when deleting indices:
#
#action.destructive_requires_name: true

cluster.name: rfp-log-cluster
node.name: rfp-log-01
node.master: true
node.data: true
network.host: RFG-LOG-01.tng.dev

for more information if i do status on elasticsearch getting as below

[root@RFG-LOG-01 elasticsearch]# sudo service elasticsearch status
● elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-03-27 16:14:10 +08; 4s ago
     Docs: http://www.elastic.co
  Process: 30232 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -p ${PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid --quiet (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 30232 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Are you absolutely sure that no logs are produced?

when i run as a service not log generated but when i run from

/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin
./elasticsearch

getting following errors in log

[2018-03-27T16:40:17,114][ERROR][o.e.b.Bootstrap          ] Exception
java.lang.RuntimeException: can not run elasticsearch as root
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.initializeNatives(Bootstrap.java:105) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:172) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:323) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:121) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:112) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) [elasticsearch-cli-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) [elasticsearch-cli-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:85) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
[2018-03-27T16:40:17,122][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [rfp-log-01] uncaught exception in thread [main]
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.RuntimeException: can not run elasticsearch as root
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:125) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:112) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) ~[elasticsearch-cli-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) ~[elasticsearch-cli-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:85) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: can not run elasticsearch as root
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.initializeNatives(Bootstrap.java:105) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:172) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:323) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:121) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
        ... 6 more

I think this error is obvious:

java.lang.RuntimeException: can not run elasticsearch as root

Even I am also facing the same error as sureshboiina is facing, but with 6.2.3 version. Though error may seem to look obvious, we are not running as root actually.

• Starting Elasticsearch Server /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-env: line 70: /etc/default/elasticsearch: Permission denied

If I try to change the permissions of /etc/default/elasticsearch using below, I was not being allowed.
chmod +x /etc/default/elasticsearch
chmod: changing permissions of ‘/etc/default/elasticsearch’: Operation not permitted

May be this is an issue with newer release version, could you please help quickly?
PS: I just followed the debian install instructions given at
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.2/deb.html#deb-repo

Actually i uninstall the elasticsearch using

• $yum remove elasticsearch

if it is a fresh installation just remove elasticsearch and reinstall
now it is ok for me.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.