Elasticsearch 7.16.2 failed to start when switching from Java 8 to Java 11

Thanks for the response David.
I got your notes about using bundled java and elastic default settings but still have a few questions about configuration.
I had to use Java 11 to follow up the firm's requirement.

To make the cluster with es-7.16.2 and java 11 functional I had to change the root /config/jvm.options as described above.
I know from docs the changes need to be done in /config/jvm.options.d/jvm.options instead of changing root /config/jvm.options
I tried this use case: left the root /config/jvm.options unchangeable, copied it into /config/jvm.options.d/jvm.options, made the change in it but in this case the node is not starting at all and not writing anything in the log.
Whatever worked for me in the root /config/jvm.options, doesn't work in /config/jvm.options.d/jvm.options

Am I missing something else in configuration ?
Should be file name in directory /config/jvm.options.d/ somehow differ from file name in root directory /config/ ?

Are there any other options how to specify the path to gc.logs instead of changing jvm.options ?

I raised these questions on the forum already at Overriding default jvm options is not working (elastic 7.16.2 and java 11) with no answer yet.
Appreciate your help and attention
Thanks in advance