ElasticSearch AWS Setup - Nodes and LoadBalancers

(Praetor) #1

Am trying to setup ES on AWS using the following configuration. Wanted to run this by the community to see if I'm doing the right thing. I have approximately 1 million documents to index.
3 Master Only Nodes
2 Data Only Nodes
1 Cooridinating Node

Question:

• Does this setup look correct from performance?

• How do I configure the Elastic Load Balancer? IF there is a 1 Coordinating Node, does that mean i associate only this Node to the ELB? Which obviously doesnt make sense as ELBs need to have multiple endpoints to be truly load balancing. So does that mean I need to also spin up 2-3 Coordinating Nodes at the minimum and attach those to the ELB?

(Loren Siebert) #2

I would suggest starting with 2 master-eligible data nodes, 1 replica, 1 shard, and have the ELB point at both.

(Praetor) #3

Edit :slight_smile:

Thanks! Woudl such a configuration (3 master + data) be able to handle querying across 1-2 million documents?

(Loren Siebert) #4

I was actually suggesting 2 nodes, not 3, since 1-2m docs doesn't seem like a lot. I only suggested 2 instead of 1 because it sounded like you wanted HA via the ELB. But it all depends on your document size and how you are analyzing/indexing fields, so really there's only one way to find out. Good luck!

(Praetor) #5

Thanks!

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.