Elasticsearch docker image uses deprecated ConcurrentMarkSweepGC

Hello,

I have two questions:

Question 1:
I am seeing elastic search container images "docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-oss:6.3.1" are using Option UseConcMarkSweepGC even though image uses JVM v10

Is there is specific reason you are using this deprecated one? console also logs below message when I start the container. This is there in latest image 7.5.0

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.

Question 2:
Due to this deprecated GC, will let the JVM to grow beyond the Xmx setting? In my production container, I can see Elastic search RSS memory is going beyond (>3gb) the limit set in Xmx1536m

I understood from my platform engineer that there is no container limit set, however we have JVM args to limit to 1536m (1.5gb). Why it is growing beyond the limit? Hence I thought whether the deprecated GC is not handling GC and its allowing to use the host memory as much as possible based on the data cache?

Appreciate your help or suggestion to identify the cause? Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.