Elasticsearch does not respond with huge data

Hi,

I am working on centos5 and I run elasticsearch with version 1.0.0 with -Xms808m
-Xmx808m -Xss256k
parameters. There are 17 index and total 30200583 docs.
Each index's docs count between 1000000 and 2000000. I create request query
like ( each index have date field );

{
"query": {
"bool": {
"must": [
{
"range": {
"date": {
"to": "2014-06-01 14:14:00",
"from": "2014-04-01 00:00:00"
}
}
}
],
"should": [],
"must_not": [],
"minimum_number_should_match": 1
}
},
"from": 0,
"size": "50"
}

It give response;

{
took: 5903
timed_out: false
_shards: {
total: 17
successful: 17
failed: 0
},
hits: {
total: 30200583
...}

However when I send query on elasticsearch-head tool for last 50 rows like;

{
"from": 30200533,
}

It does not give a response and throw exception like;

ava.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at org.apache.lucene.store.DataOutput.copyBytes(DataOutput.java:247)
at org.apache.lucene.store.Directory.copy(Directory.java:186)
at org.elasticsearch.index.store.Store$StoreDirectory.copy(Store.java:348)
at org.apache.lucene.store.TrackingDirectoryWrapper.copy(TrackingDirectoryWrapper.java:50)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.createCompoundFile(IndexWriter.java:4596)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.sealFlushedSegment(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:535)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.flush(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:502)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.doFlush(DocumentsWriter.java:506)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.flushAllThreads(DocumentsWriter.java:616)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.getReader(IndexWriter.java:370)
at org.apache.lucene.index.StandardDirectoryReader.doOpenFromWriter(StandardDirectoryReader.java:285)
at org.apache.lucene.index.StandardDirectoryReader.doOpenIfChanged(StandardDirectoryReader.java:260)
at org.apache.lucene.index.StandardDirectoryReader.doOpenIfChanged(StandardDirectoryReader.java:250)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.openIfChanged(DirectoryReader.java:170)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XSearcherManager.refreshIfNeeded(XSearcherManager.java:123)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XSearcherManager.refreshIfNeeded(XSearcherManager.java:59)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XReferenceManager.doMaybeRefresh(XReferenceManager.java:180)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XReferenceManager.maybeRefresh(XReferenceManager.java:229)
at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.internal.InternalEngine.refresh(InternalEngine.java:730)
at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.service.InternalIndexShard.refresh(InternalIndexShard.java:477)
at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.service.InternalIndexShard$EngineRefresher$1.run(InternalIndexShard.java:924)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

What is the problem? Is it not enough java heap space or does my query
cause this heap space error?

I asked same question in stackoverflow. Soutions ,which recommended in
stackoverflow, are not applicable for me. Anyone can give another solutions
for this problem?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/08a3e138-495b-4150-8520-06cfab04c31d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You need to give more heap memory to the process. 800 meg is tiny for that
amount of data.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 25 May 2014 16:26, Umut Yerci umutyerci@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I am working on centos5 and I run elasticsearch with version 1.0.0
with -Xms808m -Xmx808m -Xss256kparameters. There are 17 index and total
30200583 docs. Each index's docs count between 1000000 and 2000000. I
create request query like ( each index have date field );

{
"query": {
"bool": {
"must": [
{
"range": {
"date": {
"to": "2014-06-01 14:14:00",
"from": "2014-04-01 00:00:00"
}
}
}
],
"should": ,
"must_not": ,
"minimum_number_should_match": 1
}
},
"from": 0,
}

It give response;

{
took: 5903
timed_out: false
_shards: {
total: 17
successful: 17
failed: 0
},
hits: {
total: 30200583
...}

However when I send query on elasticsearch-head tool for last 50 rows like;

{
"from": 30200533,
}

It does not give a response and throw exception like;

ava.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at org.apache.lucene.store.DataOutput.copyBytes(DataOutput.java:247)
at org.apache.lucene.store.Directory.copy(Directory.java:186)
at org.elasticsearch.index.store.Store$StoreDirectory.copy(Store.java:348)
at org.apache.lucene.store.TrackingDirectoryWrapper.copy(TrackingDirectoryWrapper.java:50)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.createCompoundFile(IndexWriter.java:4596)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.sealFlushedSegment(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:535)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.flush(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:502)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.doFlush(DocumentsWriter.java:506)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.flushAllThreads(DocumentsWriter.java:616)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.getReader(IndexWriter.java:370)
at org.apache.lucene.index.StandardDirectoryReader.doOpenFromWriter(StandardDirectoryReader.java:285)
at org.apache.lucene.index.StandardDirectoryReader.doOpenIfChanged(StandardDirectoryReader.java:260)
at org.apache.lucene.index.StandardDirectoryReader.doOpenIfChanged(StandardDirectoryReader.java:250)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.openIfChanged(DirectoryReader.java:170)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XSearcherManager.refreshIfNeeded(XSearcherManager.java:123)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XSearcherManager.refreshIfNeeded(XSearcherManager.java:59)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XReferenceManager.doMaybeRefresh(XReferenceManager.java:180)
at org.apache.lucene.search.XReferenceManager.maybeRefresh(XReferenceManager.java:229)
at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.internal.InternalEngine.refresh(InternalEngine.java:730)
at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.service.InternalIndexShard.refresh(InternalIndexShard.java:477)
at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.service.InternalIndexShard$EngineRefresher$1.run(InternalIndexShard.java:924)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

What is the problem? Is it not enough java heap space or does my query
cause this heap space error?

I asked same question in stackoverflow. Soutions ,which recommended in
stackoverflow, are not applicable for me. Anyone can give another solutions
for this problem?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/08a3e138-495b-4150-8520-06cfab04c31d%40googlegroups.comhttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/08a3e138-495b-4150-8520-06cfab04c31d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624YYoYQsbKwZLjZAR7J3QB1w9Od_0EeQTn2_wJxvJjzXSw%40mail.gmail.com.