ElasticSearch Does Not Start on Clean Install

Hi, I'm a complete beginner to ElasticSearch and I haven't been able to find a question like this on these forums.

I have been trying to configure Logstash to talk to ElasticSearch where each are on a different VM. I was having a lot of problems, so I tried a clean install of ElasticSearch and ElasticSearch fails on startup. Not sure what's wrong, but here's all the info I have:

elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2017-06-06 07:19:56 CDT; 13min ago
     Docs: http://www.elastic.co
  Process: 2249 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -p ${PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid --quiet -Edefault.path.logs=${LOG_DIR} -Edefault.path.data=${DATA_DIR} -Edefault.path.conf=${CONF_DIR} 
  Process: 2246 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-systemd-pre-exec (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 2249 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 06 07:18:43 mukund-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Starting Elasticsearch...
Jun 06 07:18:43 mukund-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Started Elasticsearch.
Jun 06 07:19:56 mukund-VirtualBox systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 06 07:19:56 mukund-VirtualBox systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 06 07:19:56 mukund-VirtualBox systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

For the elasticsearch.yml file, I have cluster.name, node.name, node.master, node.data, path.data. path.logs, and bootstrap.memory_lock set up. For some reason the log doesn't say anything about what went wrong.

I also ran ElasticSearch with these commands:
sudo systemctl enable elasticsearch.service
sudo systemctl start elasticsearch
sudo systemctl status elasticsearch
(The last command gives the above output)

Thank you in advance for any help!

You have to check the logs to figure it out ( they are in /var/log/elasticsearch/*.log)

Try the suggestions offered in the following thread to see if it helps with finding your root cause.

https://discuss.elastic.co/t/elasticsearch-doesnt-start-and-there-is-no-log/88055

@EddieTurizo:

Thank you for the link! I didn't have the Java path set (which I fixed in /etc/default/elasticsearch) and also looked here (since I was also having a memory issue):

Now Elasticsearch is running just fine.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.