Elasticsearch helm chart - is it safe to use it?

Good morning,

This is my second post here so I hope that I'll do everything correctly :slight_smile:
I'm using https://github.com/elastic/helm-charts/tree/master/elasticsearch in my k8s cluster but one of my colleague told me:

Please revise the image used for elasticsearch, since it will require manual action after the temporary license expires. It is recommended to use OSS image for deployments where we don't utilize some enterprise grade utilities.

By default helm chart use docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch image (so no OSS). I cannot use OSS because we would like to have SSL connection (see SSL in Elasticsearch - is it free?) to ES (client requirement). But as far as I know we don't use any special features from ES.

According to this I've a question - with assumption that we just use basic function (create index, search inside etc.) + SSL connection - is it safe to use this helm chart? or maybe after 30 days it will broke?

Thank you in advance for your answer,
Kind Regards

Mariusz,

Good question! The Elasticsearch basic license doesn't expire, and as of versions 6.8 and 7.1, it includes security features such as SSL encryption for free. There's a somewhat more detailed breakdown of the different license features on the pricing page but the previous link probably has more details about security.

In other words, if you use the stack as you've described, there's no time-based feature cutoff.

-William

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.