Elasticsearch integration with IBM Websphere

In my organisation searching portlet names in portal hosted on IBM websphere is implemented using elastic search.I want to know how elastic search can be integrated with IBM websphere? .Also, how to know the installed elasticsearch version?.Any documentation around it would be of great help as I have to implement customer search on the same portal using elastic search.

My recommendation would be to run Elasticsearch as a standalone service and use the high level rest client in websphere to query Elasticsearch. This way it behaves similar to any other application running against Elasticsearch. See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/java-rest/7.6/java-rest-high.html

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

If I run Elasticsearch as a standalone service then I have to copy customer's data in Elasticsearch indexes but I am not sure how to do that.Any suggestion how to go about it would be great.

Little background :
My organisation's customers data is stored in DB2 hosted on Mainframe.At present the customer search is done by invoking SOAP webservices from frontend(Portals hosted on IBM Websphere) which brings out the results from DB2 hosted on mainframe.Over the time the response time has increased due to increase in vol of customers and high CPU intensive queries in COBOL modules.Now, someone in here suggested to implement this search using Elasticsearch to save CPU/MIPS & increase response time.

It would be great if you could explain in detail how to go about it.

You need a mechanism to sync with your database then. The approaches here can be plenty. You can either write your own code (or a script), that queries for the most recent changes and updates those in Elasticsearch.

If you can use JDBC you could take a look at the JDBC integration from logstash.

Another alternative would be to send your data to your database and elasticsearch in parallel from your application.

From my perspective I would always try to pick the variant that suits my architecture best and also provide a way to do a full export of your data, so you can always start from scratch, if needed (like the synchronization process going out of sync).

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I will be needing your help in future also.
Since, I am new to elastic search many basic questions keeps on poping up in my mind.Thanks for people like you for always ready to help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.